Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why does it seem that folks get all caught up in believing fake news and adamantly refuse to even consider truth/real news? Is fake sexier?

Why does it seem that folks get all caught up in believing fake news and adamantly refuse to even consider truth/real news? Is fake sexier?

Posted - March 11, 2017

Responses

Thank you for your thoughtful, helpful and informative reply Autumn. It is going to get worse before it gets better. Isn't it? :(  Happy Wednesday my friend!:) ((hugs))
      March 13, 2017 3:38 AM MDT

Rosie, with God almighty all things are possible and nothing is impossible. He promises safe passage out of this awful world and into the righteous new world. (2 Peter 3:13) how strong is your faith rosie? Don't trust in yourself, or your own strength. Rely completely on Jehovah God for help. We are living in tumultuous times, yet at the same thrilling times! Mankind is about to witness the great day of God almighty, when he will be vindicated. What side are you on? That will determine your survival. May Jehovah God guide you to make the right decision, and strengthen you for what's ahead. (Phillipines 4:6,7)there are millions that will survive. God's inspired word says that a "great crowd" from many nations, tribes, and tongues will walk into the promised new world. (Revelation 7:9,10) Do you see yourself among this crowd? Huge hugs to you too!!  This post was edited by Autumnleaves at March 13, 2017 11:54 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 11:43 PM MDT

I talk to God every day Autumn. I have since I was a very little girl. I think we're on good terms. BUT there are millions of  Christians who are devout who are racists/bigots/homophobes/misogynists/liars/cheaters/murderers. So maybe I'm not the best judge. How church-going people can belong to an abomination like the KKK or be WHITE NATIONALISTS boggles my mind. How do THEY interpret what's in the Bible? Why do THEY IGNORE "what you do to the least of mine you do to me?" Or "Love thy neighbor as thyself"? They think they are righteous and good in the eyes of God. How is that possible?  They want everything to go the wealthy on the backs of the poor. They do not care. They do not love.  They are not kind. They are greedy and selfish and heartless and souless. It is too much for me to understand/accept that such evil people can honestly believe they are good people. If they could at least recognize how small and inadequate and selfish they are that would at least be something but they don't. They think God is on their side. How is THAT possible?Thank you for your thoughtful reply m'dear and Happy Tuesday!
      March 14, 2017 3:10 AM MDT

Rosie, ever wonder about those individuals who claim to be Christian yet behave the opposite? The bible says they're false Christians who like weed will be destroyed to never exist again. I don't focus on their conduct, I focus on what my responsibility is to God. (Matthew 7:15-23; Galatians 6:5,)
      March 14, 2017 10:45 PM MDT

You know what  Autumn? You know how in cartoons a light bulb goes on over the head of the comic strip character indicating he/she just "got it"? One just went on over MY head thanks to you! "I don't focus on their conduct" you said referring to the so-called "Christian" fakers. I'm going to try to stop doing that Autumn. All it does is upset me. So I am going to try very hard to stop focusing on them. Thank you for your reply and the insight and Happy Wednesday my friend! ((hugs)) :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 15, 2017 2:12 PM MDT
      March 15, 2017 3:17 AM MDT

:):):) you are amazing!!!
      March 15, 2017 2:12 PM MDT

Okay my friend. I'm confused. Why on earth would I amaze you? You are the one who shared your insight with me. If you mean I'm smart enough to recognize what you gave me than OK. But that doesn't make me the least bit amazing! I mean it's my own fault for being upset at these folks. They are what they are and my dwelling on how awful that is certainly seriously ridiculous. They are not my problem either. It isn't up to me to square them away and make them see the error of their ways. Just as I am who I am they are whom they are and let's move on! ((hugs)) Thank you for your comment. It is not deserved but of course I appreciate the kindness implied therein! Happy Thursday Autumn! :)
      March 16, 2017 5:18 AM MDT

God blesses those that open their minds and hearts to his word. That you are able and willing to reason from God's inspired book makes you amazing. Yet i don't mean to impart comfort to you by complimenting you. Rosie, 1corinthians 10:13 says: "no temptation has come upon you except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out so that you may be able to endure it." Jehovah God knows and sees how hard life has become for all of us earthwide. I hope you find the following informative, inspiring as well as motivating to continue in your search for truth towards a better world. 
    "He said: "come!" So Peter got out of the boat and walked over the waters and went towards Jesus.". -Matthew 14:29.
    The wind and waves surrounding Peter as he walked on the water might be compared to the trials and temptations we face in our life of dedication to God. Even when these are severe, we can stand firm with Jehovah's support. Recall that Peter did not sink  because of a gust of wind or a big wave. Think back on the sequence of events: "looking at the windstorm, he became afraid." (Matthew 14:24-32). Peter lost his focus on Jesus, and then his faith wavered. We could begin to sink if we were to begin "looking at the windstorm, "focusing on its power and doubting that Jehovah will support us. We should take seriously the possibility that our faith could diminish, for the bible refers to a weakening of faith as "the sin that easily entangles us."(Hebrews 12:1)as peter's experience shows, our faith can quickly weaken if we focus on the wrong things. From "examining the scriptures daily 2017"
    So then my friend take to heart the words of the apostle Paul when writing to the first century Christians: "ponder over these things; be absorbed in them, so that your advancement may be plainly seen by all people. Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching. Persevere in these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you." (1timothy 4:16,17)
    Rosie, i highly recommend you visit the website jw.org as well as jw broadcasting. It will keep your mind not only distracted but truly occupied in more important things that will inspire you to become a better person. More hugs to you :) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at March 17, 2017 5:31 AM MDT
      March 17, 2017 12:13 AM MDT

I think I told you once upon a time long ago that Jim's son and daughter-in-law are Jehovah's Witnesses my friend. Right? So I'm familiar with some of the sources and beliefs. Thank you for your thoughtful and helpfully informative reply. As usual! :) Happy Friday Autumn!  :)
      March 17, 2017 5:32 AM MDT

Jim? No, you never mentioned such a thing. In any case I made mention of our website because many are finding it to be not only helpful but a true source of comfort. We are the most translated site on the Web. I myself am downright tired of the news even when it's accurate. I like to be uplifted by information i also consider spiritual nourishment. (Matthew 5:3)just to let you know how much I enjoy commenting on your questions and knowing I have been a help in answering your concerns. :D 
      March 17, 2017 8:38 PM MDT

Then it must have been another Answermugger or maybe it was before that..another Answerbagger who was also a Jehovah's Witness. They are wonderful people. Very devoted and loving and kind and good. They are very good examples my friend.  Also I just want to thank you again for that helpful thing you told me. Honestly Autumn those folks don't bother me any more. I didn't know it would be that simple. "Stop focusing on them!" Sometimes the solution is so simple you don't even consider it. They don't bother me at all any more. They are what they are. I are what I are too! Jim's oldest son David and his wife Yolanda are very active church members. They used to live in Oregon but have lived in Buckeye, Arizona for about 4 years now. They live what they preach. Well, they don't preach but they are always reaching out to help folks when they can. ALL kinds of folks. Thank you for being one of my most dependable and good-natured internet friends. I'm pretty sure we have NEVER had a cross word between us. Every time we chat I learn something. That's why I'm here! I think you know that! :) ((hugs))
      March 18, 2017 2:50 AM MDT

Rosie, your son-in-law and his wife sound like two solid, genuine, pure folk. How good you see that they live the truths they preach. OK, to say they preach, all witnesses consider ourselves preachers of the good news of the kingdom. I know they would feel very flattered if they knew what you wrote about them! When someone has told me that the first thing they think about me is that I am a preacher they have paid me a true compliment. The next time you speak to your in-laws please make sure you convey my Christian love to the both of them. I know one day we will cross paths. For certainty in God's new incoming system of things. Thank you so much for your sentiments, I am grateful for the opportunity I have of sharing my faith with you always. :) all the best!
      March 19, 2017 12:19 AM MDT

I will tell him my friend. David is going through a second bout with cancer so please keep him in your thoughts. The first time around (2 years ago) it was his bladder. It returned and is now in his lungs. He is undergoing immunotherapy treatments at the Mayo clinic  in Phoenix and fingers crossed it might be working. Chemo won't work this time. Thank you for your sweet and kind words and I will tell him about you and your kindness. I don't know why he is having to experience this. Not that cancer is a punishment. But it isn't exactly a blessing either. Happy Sunday Autumn! :)
      March 19, 2017 3:53 AM MDT

I will keep him and his wife in my prayers. I will ask Jehovah to strengthen him and to help him face this hardship. I remember everything my husband went through and what I mostly admire about him is that not once did he blame God for his illness. He knew that God is never to be blamed for the suffering that is the result of our imperfection and inherited sin past down since Adam and Eve. As the strong and faithful Christian David seems to be he will continue loyal, knowing that his health will be restored to him for a certainty and without a doubt under kingdom rule. I know he draws comfort from scriptures such as Isaiah 33:24 which says: "and no resident will say:"I am sick." The people dwelling in the land will be pardoned for their error." Rosie, if you would convey this to your family when you can it would be great. I want them to know how much I care for my brother and sister as part of the world wide brotherhood. (1 Peter 5:9) many hugs to you!
      March 19, 2017 11:21 PM MDT

I promise I will do that my friend. We chat with David regularly though sometimes it's hard to know when he is available. So we leave messages and wait until he can call us back . Your kindness and caring concern will warm him.  Thank you Autumn and Happy Monday to you m'dear! :) ((hugs)) Of course the church  members are there helping him and Yolanda as David and Yolanda have helped them when help was needed . It is a comforting thing to know that there are some places in the world where people believe they are their brothers' keeper and act upon it.  Comforting to know that there are people who put the needs of others first and feel honored to be able to serve and help. I wish the entire world were that way. I know how naive and impossible that is. But still I wish. :)
      March 20, 2017 4:40 AM MDT

• Think about this. . .
    It takes effort to change our minds. . . And the magnitude of that effort is determined by how deep those beliefs go in us. On top of that, if you need to get up and look for information to refute your own beliefs,. . Forget about it!!
    Changing our minds takes work, and it is painful.

Sometimes changing our minds requires the reevaluation of our whole way of life!!!

Think someone trying to convince someone else that America is not Great, or that Abortion is wrong, or that God doesn't exist?
    That's too much work and pain sometimes, ain't nobody got time for that, so our brain plays a little trick.

Instead of taking the new information and use it to check our views, we take the views we already have and mold the new information to fit that. So my brain takes the news against Trump and makes them fit what I already want to believe. The brain says, "oops, what is this about little hands, that doesn't compute, must not be true, FAKE News".

Imagine an atheist not being able to sleep, one night, when the roof flies open and an Angel of God shows up and tells him that he better shape up of he's going to hell, let's say.  Would the atheist believe, or would he be trying to find a reasonable explanation for the whole roof going off flying thing?
    And the huge hole in the roof! Can he explain that? If he is like these people were talking about, he will definitely find an explanation.
    This is not my opinion. It has a name, but it escapes me. And we all do it.
    (Sorry for the long answer) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 13, 2017 3:22 AM MDT
      March 12, 2017 8:48 AM MDT

Please m'dear. NEVER apologize for responding to a question of mine with  such a thoughtful, insightful, helpful and informative reply. That's why I'm here. To learn from others. As I was reading your reply everything you said resonated. But there is one thing I would add. And I add it because I've experienced it. You know those cartoons where the lightbulb over the head clicks on and the person in the comic strip finally "gets it"? Enlightenment actually can hit all of sudden. Whammo! You get it. You didn't before but for some reason you do now. That takes no work at all. It's one of those wondrous "AHA" moments. Thank you for giving your time to responding to my question so thoroughly. I appreciate a lot! Happy Wednesday Lago! :)
      March 13, 2017 3:28 AM MDT

• Good!!!
    Very good point!!
    The light bulb thing.
    This is what I say to that.
    You know the game Whack a Mole??? In which these moles come up these holes and you Whack then right back in with a big squeaky hammer??? It is like that.
    One thing is seeing the light, as you say, and you're right, that takes no effort, you're right.. .
    But another thing is acting on that light (changing your mind). . .That's a different story...
    They do get the ideas, the recognition, the light bulb,... but when they can't fit it into their beliefs they whack it down . 
    And while some people listen to the mole and adjust their views accordingly, these people sit in front of the tv playing News Whack a Mole. Yes? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 14, 2017 4:15 AM MDT
      March 13, 2017 9:45 AM MDT

Whack a Mole? Guacamole? Play on words? I've never heard of  Whack a Mole and I'm a FOODIE so of course Guacamole came to mind. I honestly don't think they ever see the moles. I think you give them too much credit. I don't think they get the ideas/recognition/lightbulb. That takes having an independent thought process and they don't. They "think" what they are told to think. I  mean of course you could be right. To me though it is so obvious/clear-cut/right in front of their noses that to see it and pretend it doesn't exist seems harder to believe for me than that they don't see any of it because they have been brainwashed/programmed not to notice. They have some kind of psychotic blindness. Mass-induced perhaps. I don't know.  But it is something that afflicts the masses of folks who voted for and continue to support the one-and-only gawd-awful Donald J. Trump. He is nothing but an enormous repository of everything negative/ugly and they think he is beyootiful! What else would cause that but being blind? Thank you for your thoughtful reply Lago and Happy Tuesday! :)
      March 14, 2017 4:22 AM MDT

• This is whack a Mole by the way.

Let's look at it this way.
    In reality, what matters is not what they do, but what we do. They've  already done goofed.
    We have two ways to go, . . .we can point and call them fools or we can try to talk to them, to understand, and to try to see things their way. How can we accuse them of being close minded pig heads, when we beat them over the head with our points and refuse to acknowledge theirs. 
    My mother used to say that if only one person says you stink, maybe there's something wrong with the person's nose. But if half the people you meet tells you the same, maybe you should check yourself. And like it or not a lot of people thought this guy was right for America. There Must be something to it. I mean, obviously.
    The problem arises when we see ourselves different than them. I propose that we are not different.  
    In question is their blind ability to blatantly and ridiculously ignore reality just to be able to maintain their beliefs. Surely im not that way. How can I be? Im critical, I analyse things , I can change my mind. 
    I am not like them.
    I saw you talking about God earlier, what would it take, do you think, for me to change her mind about God? Do you think that there would even be an inclination of a possibility that you or she, could consider that God may not exist?
    Or how long do you think it would take you to convince me that Angels are real and they impregnate unsuspecting teenagers?
    Note that im not questioning God existing or not....im questioning our ability to have an open mind on certain issues. 
    Your dogged attitude against Trump, and your (and mine for that matter) not willingness to give an inch is just as entrenched as their attitude is.
    And when we call them blind masses, we are calling ourselves the same because we are the same.
    I think they are deluded, and I think they are gullible fools for supporting this guy STILL. I agree.
    But in the sense that they are willing to ignore other points of view just to continue to hold their views dear, In that sense, I think we are the same.

March 14, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

So many people like others to do their thinking for them and its the reasons companies and Politicans pay vast sums of money to advertisers to try to deceive the public.....
    Strangely it works and the public are stuck with the the crap :(p

March 19, 2017 4:15 AM MDT