Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » What is the origin of the "You'll only fall in lovee three times" saying?

What is the origin of the "You'll only fall in lovee three times" saying?

I stumbled upon an article last night that said you'll only fall in love three times in your life. I started looking for it today and am finding that the more common thought is "You'll only fall in love with three types of people." Which is it or which do you believe and why?

Posted - March 11, 2017

Responses

• I'm thinking it refers to love that correpsonds to the major stages of life; Adolescence, Adulthood, and the "Golden years":
    1) Puppy love when you're young which can be strong, hormonal driven and intense
    2) Love for the sake of marriage, stability and financial security
    3) Love for the friendship & companionship  
      March 11, 2017 12:05 PM MST

That could be right. Do you think they ever blend into one another or are they totally independent concepts?
      March 11, 2017 12:21 PM MST

• Good point.  I think they follow through 1 after the other in a normal life span, but there certainly can be some deviations.
    I think that if we look at people who get into relationships and marry to young, they tend to fail more often because it's physically driven at a time when people have intense emotions.  Afterwards, we temper use a logical/clinical approach in how we approach our next relationships... Very often people do get the latter two phases correct because of their maturity levels.
      March 11, 2017 12:31 PM MST

• Goat is prolly right in the practical.   Three is an interesting and significant number though.  Throughout human cultures and time the number three seems to have a human fixation attached to it. You can find example after example of where the number three is assigned   religious, cultural, and metaphorical  significance.
      March 11, 2017 12:21 PM MST

That's true. You spurred my next question too...
      March 11, 2017 12:22 PM MST

• It's nice to feel inspirational once in awhile.
      March 11, 2017 12:25 PM MST

When I was in college it was (paraphrased) the average person will fall in love 17 times in the span of an average life.  I have never heard the three-times thing.
      March 12, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

not sure but ive never been lucky enough to fall in love not even once
      March 14, 2017 5:26 PM MDT