Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How do you think others perceive you? Do you think that the impression you're trying to convey is the same one others get?

How do you think others perceive you? Do you think that the impression you're trying to convey is the same one others get?

I read the other day that . . ."the way you see yourself is the way others perceive you".

Im not so sure about that, do you think youre funny and engaging? Do you think others see you as funny and engaging as you see yourself?

Do you think people see you as wise when you give your opinions, or cute, or authoritative, or scholarly?

Do the appreciation you have about others appreciation about you, match the appreciation you have about yourself?

What words do you think others would use to describe you??

Posted - March 11, 2017

Responses

I think it works more like a one-way mirror. From a distance, person only sees a reflection of himself, or rather, whatever his image/ history/ inner-self sees is reflected back. It's a false lens. When you get closer, you realize there's more behind the surface, and if you get really close, you can kind of tell what's going on on the other side. In other words, each person I meet sees me differently.
      March 11, 2017 7:41 PM MST

• Hm, 
    Yeah, but you must admit that there are ways that nobody is going to see you as. I mean.. . I don't think that there would be many people describing you as the town's crazy cat lady...hopefully...so there is a certain average view that most people would have about you... do you not think that most, on average, people, if they are going to describe would use basically the same words? 
    I think they would, no?
      March 11, 2017 8:15 PM MST

• Obnoxious and annoying prolly.
      March 11, 2017 8:08 PM MST

• Good one!
    Not sarcastically.
      March 11, 2017 8:16 PM MST

Others in the world think I'm quite anti-social. Murderous looking perhaps. This post was edited by Zack at March 11, 2017 8:20 PM MST
      March 11, 2017 8:09 PM MST

• Is that how you want them to see you? If you don't mind me asking.
      March 11, 2017 8:59 PM MST

These days, I don't care what people think about me. I've been looking like this all of my life, but it does take the burden off a person's shoulders when you don't care. This post was edited by Zack at March 11, 2017 9:17 PM MST
      March 11, 2017 9:06 PM MST

• Helps with being left alone as well.
      March 11, 2017 9:07 PM MST

Exactly!!I'm not a people person, but the people who know me, think I'm kewl.
      March 11, 2017 9:08 PM MST

• That's similar to when people ask why I don't neaten up the dirt road and yard of my place.
    I don't want to.   It makes it look inviting and that attracts people that don't have any business here.   I'd rather strangers with no business think they might get shot at or dragged into a basement pit if they walk up here.
    People I like to stop by know better so win-win.
      March 11, 2017 9:12 PM MST

Neaten up a dirt road? There is no neating up a dirt road. You can pave a road, but I already know you won't be in the mood for that.
      March 11, 2017 9:19 PM MST

• Sure there is.  Raking the stones back in and filling in the pot holes.  I do fine work making other peoples dirt roads look and drive good.  Mine you better have good shocks and preferably 4wd if it's rainy.
    Some of the new residents on here don't like it that way now.  They can fix it.  I like the Devil's Rejects vibe myself.
      March 11, 2017 10:36 PM MST

So it's not just me...lol
      March 11, 2017 9:20 PM MST

• It needs to be soft and supple.

March 11, 2017 10:32 PM MST

• ..."neaten up" . ..
    That's a pretty neat little phrase . ..
    I've never seen it used like that...
    Im going to borrow it from you. 
      March 12, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

• I don't know, I think we do care.
    At least I do.
    I may say that I don't care and may act more outlandish than others, especially when upset, but I think most of us do.
    But I think you're right, it would be very liberating to truly not give a Smith.
      March 11, 2017 9:21 PM MST

I don't think I've thought about that since I was much younger. 
    I walk through this life with a kind heart and kind words, looking for ways to help others make it through this life a little easier. I usually spend a lot of time looking outside of my self, and in the end it doesn't matter how I'm perceived. Because you either like what you see or you don't. 
      March 11, 2017 9:38 PM MST

• Yeah, that's what a lot of people say.
    You either like me, or you dont, 
    Or I dont care,
    or I don't think about it, they can think what they want. I don't believe that.
    You say that you go thru life with a kind heart and always trying to help others. 
    Which I believe you, completely.
    But, 
    Do you think that's how others see you, or do think some people see that as pedantic, and self indulging?
    I want to come off as intelligent, witty, caring and compassionate, for example.
    But I was told that I sometimes come across as stubborn, silly, not funny, sarcastic and cruel. 
    I was like, "what do you mean not funny"
    Hence, the question.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2017 12:04 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

I get where you are coming from, but again I really don't care how I am seen. Everyone has an opinion. They are entitled to that. Their opinion is in no way going to effect my bottom line. I think Lago that with time I have so many other things to be concerned about that what others think is just not on my radar. I just don't have time to care. 
    Anyway, good question though. I do appreciate your questions. They are very thought provoking and its really nice exchanging ideas and thoughts with you. 
      March 12, 2017 12:09 PM MDT

• Thank you. 
    That means a lot to me, 
    I truly, honestly believe that once we know a little about the real people behind the screen name, their struggles and fears and what makes them happy. . .I think we tend to act a little less of a douche to them.. .
    I know at least that's how it is with me.
    Thanks again for the comment. It feels like when the teacher singles you out for a good answer, you feel good, but embarrassed.  Yes?
      March 12, 2017 12:25 PM MDT

Yes. 
      March 12, 2017 12:31 PM MDT

• That depends on who they are. Most people probably don't notice me at all other than the way I interact with them. Few people know me as a person. My virtual presentation is much easier to see.
      March 11, 2017 9:39 PM MST

• And what do you think they see Mr D?
      March 12, 2017 9:38 AM MDT

• Come on winged, we've known each other for a little while, for you to give me the old, "I am what I am, and I don't care what nobody says", routine,
    with a triple finger snap.
    And about not trying to portray an image? 
    Of any kind? Seriously?
    Are you telling me that the persona you cultivate here, is the same one you exhibit in your day to day interactions?
    We all present an image.
    We all do, and furthermore, some of the images we present, some of us,  are a hell of a lot more glitterier than others.
    No?
      March 12, 2017 9:27 AM MDT