Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Could the Bible have been improved?

Could the Bible have been improved?

If God had been truly omniscient would he really have revealed his word through written text? Why would he not have used HTML (Hypertext Mark-up Language) so that, say, Moses could have tapped on the third or fourth commandment and gained access to, say, Archangel Gabriel's blog, in order to gain further information.

Now I know that the Internet hadn't yet been invented, but a god who knows all could surely have found a way to make it work.

Can you think of a way it could have been achieved without electricity? 

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

Well, here's my take on the issue:

Years ago I realized that what God tends to hide from us is his mirth (amusement, especially as expressed in laughter.)

He has "the whole world in His hands," and He has designed this fascinating scavenger hunt known as "life" by which we can find Him and have fun doing it.

And He wrote a book, the bible, using human beings as His instrument (the type of instruments that all humans are familiar with) rather than HTML because, in His omniscience, He knew that electromagnet pulses were a potential problem. So with such foreknowledge, He knew the best medium for earth is the Bible---a book full of wondrous insight and clues about the reality He created, but which we judge based on our ideas of the value or dis-value of suffering, death, justice, mercy, etc.  (I would also argue that He established a universal Church and promised the presence of the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, to guide it in assisting humans to understand what He wrote.) 

And rather than thinking that our values or dis-values are incorrect or that our understanding of how suffering, death, justice, mercy, etc. is flawed, we instead judge that the book that He chose to give us must be in error.

I love the children I created.  While they were young, I often was amused by the silly things they did while they were learning what was real. But they eventually came to learn and understand the wisdom I provided them.

And now, in the seventh day of my life, I look at what I have done; see that it is indeed good; and realize that I have earned the right to rest.

This post was edited by tom jackson at March 12, 2017 3:49 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

maybe
      March 12, 2017 5:44 PM MDT

maybe
      March 13, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

Could the Bible have been improved?

If God had been truly omniscient would he really have revealed his word through written text? Why would he not have used HTML (Hypertext Mark-up Language) so that, say, Moses could have tapped on the third or fourth commandment and gained access to, say, Archangel Gabriel's blog, in order to gain further information.

Now I know that the Internet hadn't yet been invented, but a god who knows all could surely have found a way to make it work.

Can you think of a way it could have been achieved without electricity?

====================================================================================

1- If I have understood correctly your questions are: Could the Bible have been improved, not so much in what it says, but in its presentation? Could it not have been made interactive or interlinked somehow?

2- Well, the Bible is very flexible. You can get it to say almost whatever you want it to say. Testimony to that is the existence of thousands of denominations and sects all claiming to have a better interpretation of the Bible. So in keeping with that flexibility one could claim that the Bible already has what you ask of it in your question.

3- God’s people, the likes of Noah, Moses, Mary and Jesus, were always in live communication mode with the Source. Perhaps they were using telepathy or maybe it was the angels with their supernatural abilities. Whatever it was, they only had to think of an issue and they were given chapter and verse about it from the Source. Now you can't possibly get more HTML than that can you?

4- Even the ordinary person today has at his fingertips concordances, simultaneous word and phrase searches on multiple translations, correlations, links to Greek and Hebrew texts etc He has had to wait many centuries for this of course, but it’s a far cry from when being caught in possession of a written copy of the Bible could have led to being sentenced to death.

March 31, 2017 3:59 AM MDT