Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Are you ambidextrous?

Are you ambidextrous?

A workmate once spent a few minutes watching me work left handed and said, "You must be quadrilateral" I hope he meant ambidextrous but maybe he thought I was a square.

Can you use both your right and left hands? Did it happen naturally or did you have to train your weaker hand? Why?

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

No, I'm agnostic.
      March 12, 2017 3:47 AM MDT

• A Scottish friend once told me that in a close-fought game between Celtic and Rangers the crowd was cheering wildly, all except for one man who sat there quietly, watching. The guy next to him said, "What's the matter with you, Jimmy? Are you an agnostic?"
      March 12, 2017 3:49 AM MDT

The catholics were called left-handers by the protestants when they were being polite. No doubt there were apposite terms of endearment in the opposite direction. 
      March 12, 2017 12:03 PM MDT

• I've heard that, Malizz. It may have originated as a slur from one of the early meanings of "sinister".(Sinistre means "left" in Latin.)
      March 12, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

Yes, it probably was a slur; in those days, relations between our denomination and the Catholics were very poor. In recent years, things have been a bit better. 
      March 12, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

Of course, those matches are referred to as "The Old Firm".

For most of my life I have been a Norwich supporter (someone has to admit to it). Our nearest rivals are Ipswich, 40 miles down the road, and also in a largely rural and agricultural economy. These games are often referred to as "The Old Farm".

This post was edited by Plingsby at March 12, 2017 6:04 AM MDT
      March 12, 2017 3:58 AM MDT

I'm ambidextrous and it's due to being left-handed.  Until the last 30 or so years in the U.S., most left-handed people were forced to use their right hands for various things because we were living in a rigidly right-handed world.  My parents and grandparents were all natural left handers but, during the course of their early lives, they were forced to use their right hands while in school.  So, they were all right-handed as adults except for one grandfather who was ambidextrous.  He was so rigidly left-handed that he never lost that ability.  My older brother is right-handed for the same reason (school).  I was the first one not forced to use my right hand.  Yet, I'm right handed when I'm performing various tasks due to not having access to a left-handed person to teach me.  So, I write and eat and perform most tasks left-handed.  I can do those things with my right hand but not as efficiently.  I learned how to golf, play baseball, and play the guitar right-handed.  I am comfortable performing outdoor chores such as digging in the dirt, raking leaves, and shoveling snow with either hand.  When I'm on a computer, I use my right hand to control the mouse but I can control it with my left hand just as easily.  

Didge, you probably know the reason why left-handed people were always forced to use their right hands so I won't bore you with the story. :-)
      March 12, 2017 5:57 AM MDT

• It was the same in Oz, Harry. Fortunately things have improved. I didn't know there was a reason why this was so but I imagine it's something to do with "sinister" meaning "left". 
      March 12, 2017 3:02 PM MDT

Every culture has their own reasoning.  I remember being told at one point that it was a sign the devil was in us.  Here is some other info that you might find interesting
    http://rightleftrightwrong.com/history_recent.html
      March 12, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

• Harry's answer is almost exactly like mine. Being left handed, I was always told how to do things right handed. So being left handed has helped me be ambidextrous also. Which has come in handy on many occasions. Sports also. Worked great in Baseball being able to catch, throw, and bat from either side. I like it now that I'm older.
      March 12, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

• It had to be very useful in sport. One of my sons played left wing in soccer and developed a beautiful left foot kick. Kicking with his right foot from that side of the field wouldn't have been much use.
      March 12, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

I'm ambidextrous because I badly broke my right arm and had to learn to use the left hand more. I still use the left a lot out of habit and because my right arm is weaker from the damage, it starts to hurt if I use my right hand too much.
      March 12, 2017 6:35 AM MDT

• Must have been a bad one, Patchouli. I'm sorry that pain hangs around.
      March 12, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

I can barely do anything with either hand. Antiamidextrous?
      March 12, 2017 7:25 AM MDT

• Yes, you could indeed be antiambidextrous. Or, like me, you could just be a klutz. :(
      March 12, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

I've been ambidextrous for as long as I can remember..... It really helps when I need to use a mouse and write at work
      March 12, 2017 10:59 AM MDT

• Now THAT created an immediate picture in my imagination. That'd be very useful. :)
      March 12, 2017 3:06 PM MDT

Not really, more or less right handed, though I sometimes eat or do crosswords lefthanded. I used to bat left handed at cricket. 

March 12, 2017 11:57 AM MDT

• Arthritis forced me to learn to do a few things with my left hand but write wasn't among them. I'd be hopeless trying to do that. Good to see a cricket enthusiast on board.  I'm an atheist: I don't really care for the game -- well, 20/20 is pretty entertaining -- but Plingsby is very keen. 
      March 12, 2017 3:08 PM MDT

My left handed writing is not really very great; but then I sometimes solve crosswords without filling them in at all. 
      March 12, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

No. Just a southpaw.
      March 12, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

• That's OK, Zack. Some of my best friends, and all that...
      March 12, 2017 3:09 PM MDT

I'm two Andy that for sure.......hehe
      March 12, 2017 4:04 PM MDT

no, im right handed
      March 12, 2017 5:42 PM MDT