Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If regulation "X" was costing your business mucho bucks, and Trump REMOVED it, would you KEEP the money, or PASS it on to your customers?

If regulation "X" was costing your business mucho bucks, and Trump REMOVED it, would you KEEP the money, or PASS it on to your customers?

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

I think it would depend upon the business I was running.  If I owned a business and I was turning a decent profit, I would like to think I would pass the savings onto my customers.  Okay, I'll fess up.  I would probably do a 50/50 deal there so it could be a win/win. ;-)

If I owned a small business that left me barely turning a profit and I was struggling to stay solvent (as many are these days), I would probably just keep it. 
      March 12, 2017 10:09 AM MDT

My competitors would presumably have reaped the same benefits so I would make sure I remained competitive.

There is no such thing as "keeping" money. No man is an island. Whatever I did with the money the deregulation still has economically positive effects for society as a whole. If I spend / invest it, I'm supporting other businesses and supporting the employment of other people. If I pass the saving to my customers I'm just indirectly doing the same thing because my customers will have more money to spend / invest into other businesses.

In exactly the same way when regulations are piled onto business, it doesn't matter whether the business raise prices or takes a hit on profits. The indirect effects on society are identical. Everyone is poorer.

The question is whether the regulation benefits society more than it costs society. The answer is usually no. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at March 12, 2017 11:58 AM MDT
      March 12, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

• Prices may lower and hire more people and sell more products and increase profits which means bonuses for workers as well. Why not make all happy that we can?  
      March 12, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

pass it on to my customers
      March 12, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

You are a good hearted person Pearl. :-)
      March 12, 2017 4:57 PM MDT