Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Trump's actions raise fears about access to government data". Some websites have disappeared or been "softened". Will everything disappear?

"Trump's actions raise fears about access to government data". Some websites have disappeared or been "softened". Will everything disappear?

There are people who not only worry about this but are currently doing something about it.  They are on a data rescue mission and are already saving sites they fear will disappear. The government can simply stop collecting data on anything embarrassing to it or remove the site completely. It has been happening since Trump took office and continues relentlessly. The White House Visitor's site created by Obama so that journalists could track what lobbyists do vis a vis lobbying pols in Washington is GONE. The Department of Agriculture animal cruelty data has been removed. Trump suspended a regulation protecting whistle blowers who worked for the Department of Energy contractors. Perhaps the ultimate plan is to go completely dark. Some people care. Others seem not to at all. Do you?

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

Government of the people,by the people,FOR the people,I doubt Bannon and Trump care;Trump probably doesn't even know.
    Yes I care,thank goodness for the Freedom of Information Act..this is the USA's darkest hour
      March 12, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

It can be rescinded m'dear and probably will be. Like everything else protecting we the people. Sadly. Thank you for your reply bookerdana and Happy Tuesday! :)
      March 14, 2017 4:48 AM MDT

This is OUTRAGEOUS !!!

I hadn't heard about it. It's time to start calling Trump what he really is - A FASCIST PIG. 

March 12, 2017 2:22 PM MDT

As you can clearly see based on the dearth of replies to this question m'dear NO ONE GIVES A DAM*! Where is the outrage of others? I see virtually nothing. They simply do not care that the country is collapsing around them and that an evil despotic insane person is being programmed by Putin in Russia and Steve Bannon in the US government to destroy this country. Steve Bannon said his goal was to  DECONSTRUCT the government. Both the State and Justice Departments have been gutted. The EPA will be gone and our air/water/soil will be polluted with  poisons dumped by manufacturing plants who will have no restrictions placed on them because Trump is rescinding all of them. Here am I asking a question and how many answers do you see?  SIGH. Thank you for showing up, reading it and caring. Lonely voices in the wilderness. What happened to our lives? What happened to the people?  Happy Tuesday to thee Louie! :)
      March 14, 2017 4:53 AM MDT

i would hope not
      March 12, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

• The site you mentioned is still there: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/disclosures/visitor-records
    T
    hey just don't have the visitors listed right now. There is still other information you get from the site though.
    The other one looks like Trump had nothing to do with it:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2017/0205/Why-did-the-USDA-shut-down-an-online-animal-abuse-database This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 15, 2017 5:57 AM MDT
      March 14, 2017 5:29 AM MDT

Still a visitors log sans visitors means the log is,in fact gone,replaced with other things.
    If anything the EPa should be given more teeth:
    http://archive.onearth.org/article/lake-erie-death-watch
    And the FDA needs to be more pro-active in monitoring drugs,especially those from India,where the factories producing our drugs
    were found to be shockingly unsanitary.China won't even let us inspect their factories.
    I don't want a useless,stripped down government I want more vigorous government bureausand healthcare that doesn't strip 24 million people of their coverage
      March 15, 2017 2:58 AM MDT

• I agree about the FDA, they should have more than they have now. As for the EPA? From what I've been seeing since this question was posted, they need to be restructured. There is too many stories where they caused more harm than good. Trump is speaking here tonight about healthcare and education, I really want to go, but I'm kinda scared of fights breaking out. I may go anyway because I'd really like to hear what he has to say about these two subjects. 
      March 15, 2017 3:12 AM MDT

My problem with Mr Trumps answers is they are lonng on generalities,short on detail,and tend to blame the media when pressed. CBO report? What CBO report?
    I'd go,though ,maybe a once in a lifetime chance. I'm frankly surprised that anyone can attend the Secret Service probably isn't pleased
      March 15, 2017 3:28 AM MDT

• I'm not too keen on his answers either, but he seems to be trying. He goes about things all wrong, he really needs to work on that. It's free to get in. I did print off a ticket from the website, just not too sure I want to be where fights could break out. The Municipal Auditorium, where he's speaking, is right next door to the terminal where everyone catches and changes the bus, that is closing at 9:45 this morning. They have a place for the buses to go that's away from the auditorium, but it's several blocks away. Depending on how far a walk it will be to get there will be the determining factor if I go or not. I may go just to take pics from the outside. There are planned protests, so I may just hang back, if I even go. Can I be more wishy-washy?? :) 
      March 15, 2017 5:39 AM MDT

Not at all wishy-washy! If I recall correctly you were in one unfortunate "wrong place,wrong time" incident not long ago. Prudence is an under-valued virtue!
    Keep us(The AnswerMug community updated. You've piqued my interest!
      March 15, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

• Yes I was. That was the scariest situation I have ever been in. 
    I ended up not going and I'm glad I didn't. The crowd there was huge! By the time I would have made it there, I wouldn't have made it inside. People had been lining up since 2:30 AM!! There were a lot of protesters, and there were a few confrontations, but I don't think there were any fights. They aired his speech on TV so I didn't miss that. They preempted Survivor though...GRRR! :) 
      March 16, 2017 3:17 AM MDT

So I guess the payoff pitch is,Did he address your concerns in a meaningful way?"
    TV is as good as being live with the ruff-necks.
    Thanks for catching me up on this
      March 16, 2017 4:07 AM MDT

• Not really. It was a decent speech though. He talked about several topics, and never once mentioned the wiretapping. :) He said that they are still working on the healthcare issue, said they can't find anything that they all can agree on. He talked about bringing the jobs back to America, immigration and a few other topics. Over all, I'd give him an A- on the whole thing. 
      March 16, 2017 4:13 AM MDT

I don't think we're going to hear much from team trump about the wiretaps,I must admit I am the furthest thing there is from a Trump Supporter,in NY he was well known before he had a national reputation.
    I am another site where pro-trumpers are rude,crude and defensive.

But if I were DT,I'd really appreciate your support,you are the silver lining in the whole election thing;I mean that sincerely.
    You are open,concise in thinking,everything the folks on the other site will never be. Have a great Thursday!
      March 16, 2017 4:41 AM MDT

• Thank you. :)  I'm not exactly a Trump supporter, I'm more of an American supporter. I want him to do a good job and not fail. If he fails, America fails. I don't look for demons around every corner, I don't hold my breath in anticipation of him falling on his face. With all the false statements here and in the news about him, I am starting to like him more and more though.  I mean, there are so many truths that can be said about him that won't cast him in the best light, but the falsehoods are just too much. If you are going to down someone, do it with the truth. Some of the things posted here are just too easy to disprove with a few clicks on Google. :) 
      March 16, 2017 5:08 AM MDT

i would hope not
      March 14, 2017 4:43 PM MDT