Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » A genuine question, encouraging of debate and discussion where applicable.. Does :P have the same meaning there as here?

A genuine question, encouraging of debate and discussion where applicable.. Does :P have the same meaning there as here?

I am a Brit, erm I did tell you that didn't I? :P And as a Brit, while not everyone *gets* our humour we are pretty much always silly, joking and playing with words.. It seems to be how we are.. Well I am for sure, my kids are.. I joke non-stop.. I tease, I, well play with words.. A tutor at work once said of me, that I would still be joking and smiling if the world ended.. SHe meant it nicely :P  In my course, one of my biggest problems is that I am always joking, I find it hard to take things seriously and it's a SERIOUS course.. Much, and I mean most, of my humour is self-deprecating.. well if ya can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at!  SO I put myself down a lot.. it makes people laugh, it puts people at ease.. and that's pretty much always worked pretty well for me.. (well except for the course as I mentioned where when asked on the beginners course why I was there, I joked, *because it's free* -made them laugh but I was putting myself down somewhat as I am there because I have a genuine desire to do this course... so that's an example... ) 

So.. as I say.. I am almost always, I think, irreverent is the word.. silly, messing around.. I don't take life too seriously.. MOST of my questions are meant in a jokey or light-hearted way.. (Ok some of the Trump ones too but not all )  and as part of that, because, with my psychological bent, I am aware that in print, where we cannot see the other's face, and we cannot hear the other's tone, and because I know not all Brit humour translates... I DO very often put :P meaning sticky out tongue..  meaning I am being silly, I am joking.. I tend to do :P rather than , because I type very fast and it's quicker to do that than to stop and go to the emoticon bar.  I accept  is clearer than :P but it's the same symbol in type speak and means the same thing.. 

SO my question is.. when someone puts :P or  does it mean the same there as here? That someone is joking, messing around, teasing, being cheeky?

Posted - March 12, 2017

Responses

• I'm so confused by your question :p
      March 12, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

• ahh thank you - I can tell you *get* it 
      March 12, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

• :) 
      March 12, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

That is what it means to me.  
      March 12, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

• Phew that's a relief.. I was worried!
      March 12, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

• It does to me also Daydream. I'm just old fashioned and use LOL. Same thing to me.  

March 12, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

• Old fashioned and use LOL, that's clever! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2017 4:09 PM MDT
      March 12, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

• This Poe has no idea what you are talking about.
      March 12, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

• It is the same to me.  I think it helps.
      March 12, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

• At last, an explanation! I've often seen the :P and knew very well that it meant sticking out the tongue, but I've never known what that was intended to signify. Now I do. Thanks, DD. 

I tend to use devil emoticons >:-) or >:-( or, if I'm not sure what I mean, >:-/
      March 12, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

In a word :YES I love a cheeky saucy outlook
      March 12, 2017 8:31 PM MDT

Since you are a Brit and I luv PG.Wodehouse ..;))
      March 12, 2017 8:42 PM MDT