Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » How do you feel about euthanasia?

How do you feel about euthanasia?

Should it be permitted under the law? How could it be monitored? Who should be permitted to assist?

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

Interesting question, I think it's practiced already, way more than we are aware of. It is a difficult area to regulate fully to cover every situation I think. 
      March 13, 2017 4:20 AM MDT

• It would be so easy to commit murder under the guise of euthanasia. It would have to be carefully handled.
      March 13, 2017 12:13 PM MDT

Right, and it's an ethical question too... when do we know it's the wish/solution that suits any situation the best? And yes, who to decide? All this said, I do support it.
      March 13, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

• My doctor gives any patient over the age of 75 the opportunity to lodge a form stating their preferences about sustaining life artificially. If that were to become common practice it would go a long way toward removing the uncertainty.
      March 13, 2017 3:54 PM MDT

Still I believe you cannot cover every situation where it might come up, which means other criteria has to be added into the pool, and that opens the ethical discussion about who to decide what is life, and who to decide. 
      March 13, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

• Of course. It's such a thorny topic that there may never be a way to make it legally possible.
      March 13, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

It is legal some places. However I just don't think we can cover every area, and as such there still we be assistance given that will be in the grey area, and therefore also examp,es of bad choices. Good choices will be by far the most though. Hmm.
      March 13, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

Both Washington State and Oregon State have legalized euthanasia (assisted suicide).  As far as I know, the system of checks and balance they set up is working.

This post was edited by Harry at March 13, 2017 4:39 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 4:34 PM MDT

What if someone wants to die because of a disease they know will turn them into a vegetable, but at a time where they still are fully capable by minds? Switzerland is the only possibility I know and as far as I know not without having it going to a court first. I might be wrong though.
      March 13, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

I just found this article on Oregon's assisted suicide that you might find interesting.  I think with the scenario you lay out, they would probably take the medication prior to falling into a complete vegetative state.  
    http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/10/06/expanding-the-right-to-die/oregon-shows-that-assisted-suicide-can-work-sensibly-and-fairly
      March 13, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

• Yes, it should be permitted. One reason why I said you should make out your will in your early 60's. I have it in mine to pull the plug or whatever means can be used to put me down rather than lay there like a vegetable.
    It should be monitored in the hospital and done by the Physician present upon request in my will when there is no other alternative. Best to just go than be a burden on anyone.
      March 13, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

• Good point. I've also left a duly notarised document with my doctor authorising the same thing. Like you, there's no way I'd want to continue in a semi-vegetative state.
      March 13, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

Yes. When you've watched someone you love die a slow painful death from something that can't be cured, you understand why assisted suicide should be legal.  There is nothing more important in life than allowing someone the opportunity of personal choice & death with dignity, if that is what they want.

March 13, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

• It's probably been on the cards since suicide was taken off the list of crimes, back in the day. I like Rooster's specification that it should be done in a hospital under the care of a doctor. r
    Hard on the doc, of course.
      March 13, 2017 12:17 PM MDT

Washington's law is reasonable and appropriate, in my opinion.
      March 13, 2017 12:27 PM MDT

i think if people are in a lot of pain it should be allowed
      March 13, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

• If I don't need permission to start a life, and if its legal to abort another, I don't see why I should need permission to end mine. Its my business. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 13, 2017 5:05 PM MDT
      March 13, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

There is no way to distinguish euthanasia from murder.
      March 13, 2017 5:38 PM MDT