Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » A UK News story.. studies show that people, when tested, believe they are nicer than they actually are.. Interesting?

A UK News story.. studies show that people, when tested, believe they are nicer than they actually are.. Interesting?

I found it fascinating.. I love anything to do with human nature and have studied it both formally and informally for a long long time now.. so this is interesting..  I think as people we all seem to have that *need* in our psyche to feel we are basically good, kind, caring, worthwhile people..lol but it seems in some cases at least how one actually behaves is very different to how they believe they behave :P

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

• Yes, im actually shocked when some say im too hard , or difficult,or mean...im always like whhaaaaatt???!!
      March 13, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

• I'm often told I'm "too serious". 
      March 13, 2017 2:08 PM MDT

• This study does not seem very nice.
      March 13, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

• Quite.. I couldn't agree more... I mean.. giving people a dose of reality.. that's just mean of them
      March 13, 2017 5:13 PM MDT

• Yes.  One's fantasy world is usually a happier place.
      March 13, 2017 5:28 PM MDT

I was having lunch in a restaurant with a bar attached where a woman at the bar - slightly tipsy - was railing against her companions in a loud, abusive voice. She was so loud and disruptive that the bartender had to come over and tell her to tone it down and stop saying such bad things about her friends who were sitting right next to her.

The woman reacted with shock, "I'M A NURSE. I LOVE PEOPLE. I WOULD NEVER ACT LIKE YOU SAY." She started to blubber, so surprised was she by the barman's remarks. This person was clueless about her behavior and I'm sure she was equally clueless when not drinking.

In vino veritas. The nastier people are, the more they overrate themselves as kind people. Sad, but true. No bully thinks he's a bully.  
      March 13, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

• You are probably right.. .lol doesn't apply to me and you tho :P
      March 13, 2017 5:15 PM MDT

It applies to everyone - but to different degrees.
      March 14, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

• LOL alrighty... sooooo. it applies to me only a tiny bit cos I am clearly super nice :P
      March 14, 2017 9:06 AM MDT

it does sound interesting
      March 13, 2017 12:44 PM MDT

• It's the difference between seeing our reflection in a mirror or seeing a photograph of ourselves. The one is subjective and we tend to see what we want to see; the other is unarguable. How often have you heard people say, "Oh, I don't like having my photograph taken. I never look good in them"? Well, heck...
      March 13, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

• LOL But I HATE having my photo taken ... erm...wait... what are you suggesting here :P
      March 13, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

• I could have told you that.

Thing is though "nice" is purely subjective and that makes quantifying it nearly impossible.
      March 13, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

• Seems you were right then.. makes sense when you think about it.. 
      March 13, 2017 5:17 PM MDT

• Maybe. 

March 14, 2017 8:50 AM MDT

• Perceiving yourself as being nice vindicates any kind of behaviour, it makes people who are sh*t justify anything they do as being essentially benign therefore even the harshest of actions is not seen by the perpetrator as being deemed harmful. It's a useful deceit, yes?
      March 13, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

• Image result for Nice people swallow
      March 13, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

• Such maturity.
      March 13, 2017 2:10 PM MDT

• Oh come off it.
      March 13, 2017 2:14 PM MDT

• You cannot accept a sincere compliment?
      March 13, 2017 3:01 PM MDT