Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Are plugs, 'power cords", opps! interchangable?

Are plugs, 'power cords", opps! interchangable?

I need a 9volt cord for a rather old portable DVD player.  The manufacture will not reply to emails.  So is any 9 volt plug compatible and safe to use? 

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

I'm not positive but it would seem if it's the same voltage it would be compatible as long as the prongs match.  However, you should probably call Best Buy or another electronics store and make sure.
      March 13, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

• I took it to Target. The counter person said the cord wasn't available.  Best Buy is likely to be more knowledgeable.
      March 13, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

Probably.  Good luck.
      March 14, 2017 9:19 AM MDT

• I'm also quite out off the manufacturer has not responded to two emails.
      March 14, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

I agree that they should have responded, but rather than wait for something that may never come, be proactive and find out for yourself. 
      March 14, 2017 9:25 AM MDT

• Three things to consider ... The gauge of the wires, which means the amount of power it can safely carry... Shouldn't be a problem... The type of connector , shape and size ... The most important is the polarity of the connector or plug ... And what i mean by this is which pins in the connector carry the negative and which carry the positive leads ... This is often embossed on the plastic housing of both connectors... Equipment side and lead side ... Good luck
      March 13, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

• I have this information in the owners manual.  I took it to Target and the counter help said it is not available.  I wasn't sure about his knowledge.
      March 13, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

• With all due respect I'd not rely on a salesperson at target... Mostly they have no technical knowledge ... As i said if you know the plug this into the dvd player, and if you know the poor supply us 9volts then all that remains is the polarity question or where does the positive and negative connect to... That's important... You need to examine the plug and the dvd player to see if they are marked
      March 13, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

9 volts is a miniscule amount of electricity......it's not enough to kill anyone and a tiny wire/cable will carry that voltage....you need to look at the wattage and amperage of any appliance....
    A thousand watts equals 1 kilowatt of electricity  which will power 10 100 watt light bulbs.....   Most electric kettles are 2.5/3.0 kilowatts .....instantaneous electric showers can be 9.5 /10.5 kilowatts and sometimes need a large cable of of ten mm section or above depending on the length of cable run....

you need to read and state what's on the manafactures plate on the machine for someone on here to give you good advice....just saying its nine volts is kind of meaningless.......I've never seen any DVD with such low voltage.......
    most likely the manafacture won't reply to you because you've gave them the wrong information.....
      March 13, 2017 4:19 PM MDT

If you are talking about the ac adapter, commonly called wall wart, there is a label on it saying how many volts and how many amps. If the label is gone you can measure it with a voltmeter. The amps is the maximum amount of current the thing can safely handle. The third concern is what standard outlet it plugs into, which might be different for every country. And lastly, the end that goes to the machine has to be that exact design.

So now you know enough to go to Salvation Army where they have hundreds of wall warts of all descriptions. All you have to do is find one that matches the one you have. If you find a 9 volt unit with the same or greater amps but a different connector, anybody who knows how to solder can attach your old connector to the new wall wart. You probably should buy all you can find so you have spares. Especially if you own a cat. (Ask me how I know that!)

This is my electric trash can. A homeless wall wart and an old computer fan. I stretch a new bag over the rim and run the fan and it sucks the bag into position, no fuss, no muss, no sweat, no strain. Yeah, that's awfully dum, but that's all there is to do when you are retired.
      March 13, 2017 4:32 PM MDT