Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » What's the environment like at your place?

What's the environment like at your place?

Hot / cold / wet / windy? Which season gives the best all-round weather? 

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

• Hi Didge. 
    We've shared many conversations over time and you may have gleaned that I make my home in South Florida. The weather here is pretty consistent year 'round, 70's in winter to 90's in summer. The main quality of our local weather is that it isn't winter, ever, which was primarily why we chose to live here. Humidity gets thick late June to late August and we get more clouds in Dec and Jan. 
    We live on waterfront and there is a near-constant breeze off the Gulf, which is richly fragrant in spring and helps cool the humidity in summer. Our sunsets are spectacular. 
      March 13, 2017 6:11 PM MDT

• I knew you had a lovely place to live down there, Zee. 

I came up with a schoolboy blunder a couple of years ago. We were holidaying on Australia's south coast and I went out early to get a photograph of sunrise over the ocean. It got lighter and lighter but the sun never made an entrance. Eventually I realised that I wasn't looking at the Pacific but the Indian Ocean which sweeps past the south of the country. Duh! 
      March 13, 2017 6:20 PM MDT

• So if my geography serves me, the sun would've been behind you, over the land? 
      March 13, 2017 6:30 PM MDT

• Over my left shoulder. :(
      March 13, 2017 6:31 PM MDT

It's beautiful now Didge, the weekend was sunny and this week too is going to be hot, I've thrown my jacket and revelling in light clothes;))
      March 13, 2017 6:37 PM MDT

• We're huddled indoors out of torrential rain. There'll be flooding today. Fortunately we live on top of a whopping great hill. 
      March 13, 2017 6:41 PM MDT

How are the rains now Didge? Oh how lovely you must have a breathtaking view of rolling hills;))
      March 13, 2017 11:40 PM MDT

• Not so much, Veena. In many parts of my town it looks just like any other suburban area but we only have to walk one or two kilometres in virtually any direction to be completely out of the town and into the bush.
      March 14, 2017 3:20 AM MDT

Cold, dark, dreary, short days, no mountains or beach, the outside air smells like cigarettes.  
    The surroundings are depressing.  Not a place I would have ever chosen for myself. 
      March 13, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

• Sounds a little unpleasant for a permanent home. Any plans to find somewhere more appealing in the future?
      March 13, 2017 6:51 PM MDT

Hot, cold, wet, windy... I must answer yes to all.  Yesterday, at 5.30 am it was -22C (-5F), with snow. This evening 6pm it is +8C (about 48F). So it went from cold, to warm and wet. (snow is melting) . During the summer the average temp is 20 to 25C (68f to 75f) but it can reach 30C to 40C (about 85 to 100f)    With these warm breaks in the winter we get strong winds from the west, (google chinook) 
    This is NOT an indication of global warming! but is a normal condition for this part of the world. There has only been one recorded year without a Chinook, and that was 1905 (as I recall)  80% of the cattle in southern Alberta died that winter.
      March 13, 2017 7:24 PM MDT

• I knew about the Chinook but didn't realise that the environment was so dependent on it. Thanks for sharing. 
      March 13, 2017 11:09 PM MDT

I also live in Florida.  The winter months are best but February is when the oak and pine pollen make me miserable so I can't really enjoy the good weather.
      March 13, 2017 7:39 PM MDT

• I have a whopping great cypress in the front yard and it covers everything with pollen right through April. We've had a tremendous downpour of rain today and I'm hoping that t was enough to knock the candles down before they start to spread their gold. 
      March 13, 2017 11:10 PM MDT

right now its warm but it was windy a lot last wk
      March 14, 2017 3:35 PM MDT