Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » To the comon man religion is true. To the wise man, false and to leaders useful. What do you think of this?

To the comon man religion is true. To the wise man, false and to leaders useful. What do you think of this?

Posted - March 13, 2017

Responses

• There are, and have been, plenty of smart cookies who believed the tenets of their religion. I think it's inaccurate to judge a person's intelligence by their willingness to accept or reject a religion. 

That said, if a person is to reject religion rationally (as opposed to dropping it for its inconvenience) I think there has to be an element of reason involved.

Useful to leaders? Oh, yeah.  Perhaps not as much in this modern, atheistic world as in the past, but it's a handy tool to keep the masses from getting above our stations.
      March 13, 2017 7:55 PM MDT

• That the Roman philosopher, Seneca the Younger, was an astute observer. 
      March 13, 2017 8:16 PM MDT

• Hi Whistle6,
    I think the saying discounts individual diversity...that religion is often profound and meaningful in a life of wisdom, consider the saints of various traditions...

The part  I do see as unfortunately true is the usefulness of religion to political leaders and slave-owners.
      March 13, 2017 8:56 PM MDT

This quote originates with Gibbon and a later author claimed Gibbon was quoting Seneca. Such a claim was not made by Gibbon and the quote cannot be found in any of Seneca's extant works.

The quote is glib and attempts to be clever but fails. Gibbon was notorious for hating all religion and his quote here is far too broad to be considered "quotable".

VirginiaL above counters it nicely.
      March 14, 2017 12:34 AM MDT

• Considered unquotable by who? You? This is a rather notorious quote most often attributed to Seneca, and you present no proof it wasn't his, but that is beside the point. It is in fact a relevant observation of the societal influence of religion in many places. This post was edited by Just Asking at March 15, 2017 9:58 AM MDT
      March 14, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

• Dear Louie, and Zee too,

I rather prefer that it not seem like I am taking any sides here…referring to my answer…

The Zee is a very fine thinker, and I prefer to exchange ideas and learn from him, rather than refute…at the same time, after thirty years of atheism I DID become religious; and I see that as a positive step (for me, my way) ...here is another quote, also attributed to Younger Seneca not well verified, that I would like to see both atheist and religious folk consider:

"Every man prefers belief to the exercise of judgment."
      March 14, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

• Dear Louie, and Zee too,

I rather prefer that it not seem like I am taking any sides here…referring to my answer…

The Zee is a very fine thinker, and I prefer to exchange ideas and learn from him, rather than refute…at the same time, after thirty years of atheism I DID become religious; and I see that as a positive step (for me, my way) ...here is another quote, also attributed to Younger Seneca not well verified, that I would like to see both atheist and religious folk consider:

"Every man prefers belief to the exercise of judgment."
      March 14, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

Sounds like q quote from an athiest bigot.    a paraphrase: 

'The common man who doesnt believe the same way i do is ignorant
    Those who do believe the same way i do are wise...'

March 14, 2017 5:02 AM MDT

• There is some irony that your quip, accusing ignorance is so poorly presented.  Also it is an ad hominem. Can you refute the quote or no?
      March 14, 2017 8:42 AM MDT

PRECISELY !!
      March 14, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

Even as a Catholic, I appreciate good religious humor.

Here one by the ubiquitous "anonymous":

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Anybody who dies today praying for fish probably just can't find the grocery store.

March 14, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

i think everyone has different opinions about it
      March 14, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

Actually, as Meatloaf once sang:  "Two our of three ain't bad."

Personally, I find it both true and useful.

And if I were accused of being a wise man, I would have to acknowledge the accuracy of that appellation---and deny that religion, in and of itself, is necessarily "false."
      March 14, 2017 2:41 PM MDT

Typically the quote, if indeed it is a quote, says more about the author whoever he may be, than anyone else.

There is disdain for the common man, identification of wisdom with irreligion, and leaders with cynicism. 

March 14, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

Nice analysis.
      March 14, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

I agree with your criticism that "There is disdain for the common man, [and] identification of wisdom with irreligion" but find the association of especially political "leaders with cynicism" in this modern world of ours to be sadly and regrettably very true. 
      March 31, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

That depends entirely on what you think "religion" is. Very few people have a definition that makes sense at all. The bible says religion is made up by men telling each other what to do. But as usual, men think they have a better idea.
      March 14, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

To the comon man religion is true. To the wise man, false and to leaders useful. What do you think of this?

===================================================================== 

The first two are slightly flawed because it is easy to find many

a] a common man with total disregard for religion as well as one who has not got a good understanding of his own religion, and

b] a wise man who regards religion as a necessity and therefore not false at all.

However, it is true that religion is a very useful tool for leaders to use it for the common good or misuse it for selfish purposes.

March 31, 2017 9:47 AM MDT