Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What bloatware or malware came with your new computer? Any problems getting rid of it?

What bloatware or malware came with your new computer? Any problems getting rid of it?

I bought my new Lenovo yesterday (thank you to those people who gave advice) and found that a "free" version of McAfee AV was installed on it. Since I had already activated Windows Defender, which really is free, I spent far too much time trying to uninstall McAfee.

Can't be done by the normal method.

If you want to remove it you must visit the McAfee web site and download their Software Removal Tool. Works like a charm but is a bleeding nuisance. 

What has been your experience?

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

• I had similar experiences when I bought my Acer laptop. It didn't come with Mcafee though, it came with Norton. It was also filled with several different softwares from Acer themselves. It took some time but I was able to uninstall all of it. My laptop ran much quicker after removing all that crap. I didn't realize that Mcafee caused that many problems. I didn't have a problem removing it from my Mother-In-Law's PC. After removing all that, I just installed Free AVG and Advanced System Cleaner and that seems to do the trick! Congradulations on a new laptop!!
      March 14, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

• Thanks. I've never had trouble with McAfee in the past, this seems to be a new wrinkle. I've used AVG and it's pretty good but for the last few years I've used Microsoft's freebie. Never had a problem. 
      March 14, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

if you want to remove a program more efficiently, i suggest using Revo Uninstaller,, it will scan your comptuer for leftover files and registory entries of the program you're trying to get rid of. http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html... i have an HP chromebook so the only thing i had to get rid of were extra Chrome extensions that were preinstalled. 
      March 14, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

• Thanks, Skunky. I read about Revo a while ago. Seems to have a very good reputation. it's certainly far ahead of the Wndows uninstaller which tends to leave crap in the gizzards. (That's a technical term.)
      March 14, 2017 3:50 PM MDT

its a good program, i use to use it back in the day when i had a windows computer but now i don't need it anymore. its definitely better than the windows uninstaller.  This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 14, 2017 7:03 PM MDT
      March 14, 2017 4:21 PM MDT

• Haven't had that problem in years because I build my own PC's and put what I want in them. I would buy a Laptop from my Tech partner as he gives them to you how you want them. Skunky is right about Revo as it works pretty good. Can't think of how many PC's and Laptops I've cleaned up for people. Bad thing about store bought units.
      March 14, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

• They take a lot of liberties, Rooster. They're a darned nuisance. They must create problems for people who don't really understand their computers and what's necessary to keep them running smoothly.
      March 14, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

• Macs don't have bloatware hehe
      March 14, 2017 5:55 PM MDT

• I didn't know that. That's something in their favour.
      March 14, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

To mee, everything would be considered bloatware except for the notes, documents, calculater, photoshop/editing, and the web browser.. my solution? chromebook :p This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 19, 2017 2:35 PM MDT
      March 15, 2017 12:01 AM MDT

• When I'm bloated I take a midol....... No idea those other computer words mean :) soz ...:p 
      March 14, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

• Actually my tummy has been a little off since I brought it home. I wonder if I picked up a computer virus? 
      March 14, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

• :)
      March 14, 2017 7:17 PM MDT

Just Windows. I used Linux for many years, but every update made it slower, and then my monitor died. One thing about Linux is that a change of monitor is fatal. You have to reinstall the system. I thought I would be brave and try to change the driver manually. The instructions ran 39 pages! Then the first manual command did not exist in the system. So I downloaded WinXP, which was free at that time, and I have not been tempted to go back to Linux. I didn't say I like Windows, I'm just not going back to Linux.
      March 14, 2017 6:24 PM MDT

• I can understand that. You'd need to be an enthusiast to use it. 
      March 14, 2017 7:16 PM MDT

Never with my Macs
      March 14, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

• That's what Nevan B said. :)
    That's good. 
      March 14, 2017 7:17 PM MDT