Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you have a technique for getting used to a new keyboard?

Do you have a technique for getting used to a new keyboard?

Some keyboards are far easier to use than others. Do YOU have a technique for adjusting your touch?

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

• It took some time to get used to a chicklet style keyboard after years of using the old style of keyboard. I didn't really have a technique or anything. I just kept using it until I adjusted. Now, I love this style keyboard. It also helps that both laptops had a small number pad so I didn't have to get used to a new size. Good luck!
      March 14, 2017 3:38 PM MDT

• Well, that led me up the garden path. I Googled "chicklet" and found it was a young girl. However having persisted, i now understand. 

Yeah, they're pretty good. I spent my working life using keyboards from typewriters to teleprinters. They were pretty much chaff-cutters compared to a laptop keyboard. My new laptop has a tiny right-side shift lock and that's gonna give me trouble till I get used to it. 
      March 14, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

• The shifts and the spacebar are the two biggest keys I had to get used to on my new laptop. It was really annoying, lol.
      March 14, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

ive never had an issue adapting to new keyboards. 
      March 14, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

• I'm as clumsy as hell these days. I guess the arthritis doesn't help.
      March 14, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

• I never had any issue either with new keyboards or mice. Used them all just about.
      March 14, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

• Good to hear. Wish I could say the same. :(
      March 14, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

• Always experimenting!
      March 14, 2017 6:10 PM MDT

If a keyboard takes any getting used to, it goes in the trash.
      March 14, 2017 6:17 PM MDT

• I've always wanted to be wealthy, too, but never quite made it. It's less expensive to retrain my reflexes. :) 
      March 14, 2017 6:58 PM MDT

What wealthy? I buy keyboards for five bux apiece at Salvation Army. I'm watching for an old IBM mechanical model.
      March 15, 2017 5:44 AM MDT

• My keyboards come attached to my laptop. If the keyboard goes the laptop tends to follow.
      March 15, 2017 11:35 AM MDT

OMG he is talking about a keyboard, what on earth are you imagining;))
      March 14, 2017 6:34 PM MDT

HA HA HA!
      March 14, 2017 6:51 PM MDT

• That's superb advice, WW. Unique, even! I'll be very careful around the G. 
      March 14, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

As long as I used laptop, I used blind touch, sometimes I would wake up at midnight because that's when new ideas pop up, and sit in pitch darkness and type away,but now with iPad, I gotta type only with one hand and it is a nuisance!
      March 14, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

• I'm old-fashioned enough to keep a notebook and pen next to the bed. I'd never get my ideas down on a touch screen. 
      March 14, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

Oh, but I will be so impatient to flip pages and find a pen....you are right Didge, I must stop being so digital!
      March 14, 2017 7:03 PM MDT

• I often wake with ideas, especially when I'm writing. If I don't get them written down there's no way I'm gonna get back to sleep -- or to remember them next morning.
      March 15, 2017 3:46 AM MDT

My typing - which has included on a manual and an IBM 'Golf Ball' electric typewriters as well as computers since MS-DOS and an Amstrad PCW9512, plus portable 'phones -  has never improved so for me to complain about a keyboard would be a case of bad workman blaming the tools!

I can't get on with lap-tops though. Some years ago at work, I had to help catalogue a mass of technical reports, using an Excel spread-sheet and lap-top. Used to normal desk-top PCs with proper keyboards and legibly-large monitors, I found the instrument a lot easier to use by placing a ring-binder under it as a writing-slope, but it was still physically awkward.

March 16, 2017 7:16 PM MDT