Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky

Windows or Mac?

Back in the days of DOS when we practically needed a degree in computer science to operate a PC, Apple computers were far and away the best on the market. They were FUN to use but for that fun experience you had to pay through the nose.

We're still paying through the nose, of course, but they're no longer ahead of Microsoft.

Which do you prefer? Why? 

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

• Between the two, definitely Microsoft Windows. It's far easier to use and the PCs that you can purchase have a great range from only $300 to a couple thousand depending on what you want to use them for. Also, the majority of softwares, especially in the gaming world, are built around Microsoft Windows. I used a Mac for three semesters while I was earning my Information Technology degree and I hated them. I couldn't wait until I could get rid of those Macs. With the addition of Windows 10 (which I really love) they have gone a long way to make their PCs look and feel great while at the same time performing rather well.

As a side note, if I could and everything I used my PC for were 100% supported, I'd completely switch over to Ubuntu Linux. It's far quicker than both Windows and Mac, far more secure, and it's 100% free to get and install the operating system.
      March 14, 2017 3:55 PM MDT

• I think you've mentioned Linux before (on another site). Frequently, if memory serves. I've never tried it. 

In 1989-90, back in the DOS days, I had to teach the office staff how to use PCs. The boss, understandably, didn't want to make the effort and bought an Apple which I then had to teach HIM how to use. Clearly there wasn't much teaching involved. They were a breeze. But I really don't think they can justify their higher prices these days.
      March 14, 2017 4:04 PM MDT

• The price is definitely one of the main reasons I wouldn't buy a Mac. The prices get kind of rediculous.
      March 14, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

• I came in when DOS was still a large part of working a computer.. I loved all that weird geeky stuff :P We had windows too.. windows for workgroups... I looooooved it... 

I've never touched a mac... closest I have come is a week or so ago a student had to take an exam online and I was supposed to be helping.. took long enough to just find out how to turn the thing on!! In the end we did get it switched on but we ended up getting a laptop to do the tes..

My only other experience of a Mac is... I erm met a guy who was a photographer... he showed me all his *work* y tand he took some pics of me.... but apparently the mac crashed and lost them... hmmmm

Not fond of Macs
      March 14, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

• I've heard some people claim that their face could stop a clock but to crash a computer? That's a first. My former neighbour was so big that had anybody tried to load his photograph onto a computer I doubt there'd have been enough pixels to do the job.
      March 14, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

After using Chrome Os for the past 4 years. i don't think i could go back to Windows. and if i need a full blown OS in the future, i could always install ubuntu or another Linux based OS's alongside with my Chrome OS. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 14, 2017 9:44 PM MDT
      March 14, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

• I'm very happy with my Android phone but I don't know a thing about the Chrome OS. Clearly it's going to make big inroads into Microsoft's sales over the next few years.
      March 14, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

chrome OS (Chromebooks) that are released in 2017 (and some older models) will have access to the Google Play Store (which means, android apps will run on chromebooks).. which will... take sale chunks away from Microsoft.. once androids apps are available.. chrome os will explode in the market. This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 14, 2017 11:58 PM MDT
      March 14, 2017 11:55 PM MDT

• It's gotta be good for we users that Google has challenged Microsoft and Mac head on. I don't mind any of them making money but the truck-load -- they're entitled. They've changed the way we live and, for the most part, have made ordinary lives more fun.
      March 15, 2017 12:00 AM MDT

I prefer Windows but that's because that's what I have at work and I'm accustomed to working with it.  My sister has Macs and I have too much trouble navigating on her laptop.  I'm one of those folks who doesn't like change as long as what I'm using is working for me.  Not everything that's new is "improved."
      March 14, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

• About 1990 the boss asked me to work out what was wrong with his Mac. It took about 15 minutes before the penny dropped and I went back in to see him.

At that time there was a single icon on the screen and that icon started up the whole system. I don't know if it's still the same. 

So I said, "Your son was sitting on your knee when you were using this at home, wasn't he?" That surprised him but he admitted it was so. So I pointed to a tiny spot on the screen.

While the icon had been highlighted the kid stuck his hand out and tapped the full stop, substituting that for the icon. If he'd hit the space bar I would never have found it.  
      March 14, 2017 5:30 PM MDT

The first Mac I used was the original model. I was impressed by how smoothly the software worked, but the equipment was s**t in every detail. The screen was too small, the memory was too small, that one-button mouse was torture, and there was no way to upgrade the machine in any way. I was glad when I finished that project and didn't have to use that thing any more.
      March 14, 2017 5:15 PM MDT

• Definitely not a good experience. Clearly, they've upgraded them since. :) 
      March 14, 2017 5:50 PM MDT

When I started using PC`s, I bought one. And started to get used to it. Then at work we got Mac`s. They were much easier to use, especially word processing stuff. You never had to look for it. But the Mac was too expensive for me at home, so I stuck with the PC`s.  (I was into computers prior to IBM compatibles so using the dos was no problem, and when Windows came out, it was great. Had an IBM with IBM`s OS2 as well as windows on it. Could change back and forth between os)
      March 14, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

• One of my friends was very angry when Microsoft introduced Windows. He was an engineer and had school himself in both DOS and GW Basic and felt he was some kind of computer guru. When Windows made everybody an expert he lost his advantage. God knows what he must thing of touch screens and smart phones.
      March 14, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

• I've always used Winders. LOL

Winders Southern Edition - Crawford Enterprise

March 14, 2017 5:42 PM MDT

• Very, very clever, Rooster. I had seen the dialogue box "This dog won't hunt" before but never saw the rest of it. Thanks for a good laugh.
      March 14, 2017 5:58 PM MDT

•   March 14, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

• I've always been a Mac person. I just bought a new MacBook Pro last month. 
      March 14, 2017 5:54 PM MDT

• That reminds me of the old Tareytown cigarette ads: 

March 14, 2017 6:57 PM MDT

Always have used Macs
    never ever anything else
     all I know is
    a life without problems
    using my Macs :)

March 14, 2017 6:58 PM MDT

I still prefer the Mac. RISC chips shit all over Intel. Disney/Pixar uses Mac rather than PC for a reason.
    That said, I prefer Android over iAnything.
      March 14, 2017 10:13 PM MDT

• Good comment. Android has certainly come a long way. I wasn't keen on their early versions. Love it on my Galaxy.
      March 15, 2017 3:41 AM MDT

I got an Android smart phone. It took me a full month to figure out how to make a call, and I still have not figured out how to answer one. Customer support does not seem to understand what I'm talking about.
      March 15, 2017 5:58 AM MDT