Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What recreations did you enjoy before the Internet?

What recreations did you enjoy before the Internet?

Back in the days when the air was still clean and sex was still dirty, and when people robbed banks instead of banks being the bandits, how did you pass your leisure time? 

Have you dropped any recreations that you used to enjoy? What's the likelihood of taking them up again?

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

• I've always known the internet but it was the internet you couldn't activate without using the phone line. The two things I did most during that time was reading and, of course, gaming. My gaming at that time was Atari and Super Nintendo but it was awesome just the same. I fell out of reading because college ruined it for me. I had recently started reading again with reading about five books in two months. I take my reading seriously! I stopped again because all of my attention went to finding a new job. Now that I start my new job tomorrow, I intend to start reading again. Specifically, I want to finish your book, The Mistress of Dimmiga Berg. I got part way through it and stopped when I started looking for a new job. I intend start it over and finish it this time :P This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 14, 2017 10:24 PM MDT
      March 14, 2017 4:26 PM MDT

• I can see how that would shift your focus. I started reading when I was about 7, maybe 6, and never stopped. I do know that when i was 7 my parents, who always spelt things they didn't want me to understand, gave up because there was no point.

I remember you getting a copy of Mistress. Hope you enjoy it when you have time. :)
      March 14, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

• The parts I did read I loved. I'll end up speeding through it like those other five books. That's the sign that I like it, lol!
      March 14, 2017 5:13 PM MDT

• Always known Internet??! Thanks for making me feel old :/ MEH!!!!! :p
      March 14, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

• You're quite welcome, Jaimie! What are friends for anyway ;)
      March 14, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

• Grrrrrrrr :( ....... ;p
      March 14, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

• Grumbles I answered this and it got lost... perhaps cos i mentioned the word sex :P I never knew sex was ever dirty.. my mum was very open minded..  

I used to research a lot, became a walking book on ADHD, environment etc.. 

I gardened a LOT... could spend all day out there every day... became a gardener at one point... so my interest led to a job

And I used to make things and mend things and design things around the house.. and used to do a lot of preserving, frezing etc.. 
      March 14, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

• Interesting selection. There were some strange attitudes to sex while I was growing up. Puritanical. Sometimes i wonder how my generation ever came to be born. There must have been a lot of subdued activity wth the lights out and nobody enjoying themselves. 

I wonder if you ever saw Shirley Valentine? The play was a little better than the movie but both were good. There was a woman who undserstood. :)
      March 14, 2017 5:01 PM MDT

• I saw bits of the film...  I never thought sex was wrong... I grew up in a family who were all broadminded.. I quote a convo with my aunt... I asked, why are you wearing red lacy undies... when you aren't going out... Her reply was... "well you never know your luck" 
      March 14, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

• I think I'd like your aunt. :) 
      March 14, 2017 5:17 PM MDT

• I so wish I could tell the story of how I ... lol no best not... I will tell a safer one... there was this guy.. we had this mutual attraction. something about him.... an he felt the same... magic in the air and all that.. but he got back together with his ex... he said it was easier to say yes... but after that we were just friends.. he tried to flirt.. I wouldn't (dont go gettin the idea I am all principles and all that) but we would chat now an then...So one day his girlfriend contacts me... in a rage.. this woman who was on my friends like was flirting with her bf... and boy was she mad...  I said well, that's my AUNT.. I am sure it's nothing, (I wasnt sure!) but said I would have a word with her.. SO I contacted my aunt.. and said.. erm have you been flirting with X?  Yes she said... Well we are a pretty honest bunch my family... My aunt is 70 something, still fairly hot... and the guy is 45-50... I made a slight reference to her age.. and her reply was... ."the day I stop flirting will be the day I am dead"  - You have to admire her spirit :P  FWIW it was HIM flirting with her mostly!
      March 14, 2017 5:32 PM MDT

• Full marks to your Aunt, Daydream. She sounds like a special lady.
      March 14, 2017 5:40 PM MDT

• My favourite thing to do in late 90's early 2000's before internet is very " politically incorrect now" and would never do now. ( so no lectures please) was drive back roads with friends and drink on Sunday's. We'd grab a bunch of 6packs drive till we were lost ..... End up weird locations ... Throw plastic holders 6packs out windows " call it "duck hunting" :/ ( inside joke )  then end up at drive in theatre and never remember what was playing By next day ..... Good times:)
      March 14, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

• You were a wild woman, Jaimie. Glad you survived. :)
      March 14, 2017 5:18 PM MDT

• Nah , I was not that wild :) just typical Canadian girl :p 
      March 14, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

All I did was watch tv and work.
      March 14, 2017 5:18 PM MDT

• I grew up in the days before TV. We listened to the wireless (hadn't yet started calling it radio), played cards and read. Simple stuff.
      March 14, 2017 5:20 PM MDT

• In between running and working in my shop, I flew my planes and raced dirt bikes all over. Would trade the Net for those anytime! 

March 14, 2017 5:37 PM MDT

• Those staggered starts would save a ton of grief. It took me a while to work out it was being filmed with a drone. Those things can really move.
      March 14, 2017 5:44 PM MDT

• That was the best cross country race of them all. Long and brutal but fun as hell! They used to have a mass start but so many crashed right off that they changed it!
      March 14, 2017 5:46 PM MDT

• It reminded me of the mass start of a triathlon. Hundreds of people treading water and when the gun fires for the start it's a real melee. Elbows, feet, hands -- they're not for the faint hearted. :)
      March 14, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

• I read much more and practiced my music. 
      March 14, 2017 8:19 PM MDT

• It's a shame to let those go. I used to get more reading done when I worked in the city and spent more than 3 hours every day commuting.
      March 14, 2017 8:47 PM MDT

Here's a word I learned in Australia:  "Waterman."  I was a Waterman.  I fished, surfed, and scuba dived.  Back then I had a young son to do all those things with.  Then he discovered girls and got married.  Whaaaa!
      March 14, 2017 8:47 PM MDT