Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Was Cadide right? Is this the best of all possible worlds?

Was Cadide right? Is this the best of all possible worlds?

Posted - March 14, 2017

Responses

some people would think so
    because it's just a dream
    and we can create what we wish
    and  live in our pleasures
      March 14, 2017 9:44 PM MDT

• I suggest this "life is a dream" is demonstrably untrue.  The physical world and the requirements of living in it impose reality upon one. 
      March 15, 2017 9:08 AM MDT

For a given value of 'best' and a give value of 'world' that may be true :-)
    I do not know if this world is that world, nor do I see a need to assume its existence.
      March 15, 2017 2:37 AM MDT

• Hi Whistle6...

I have not read Voltaire, but I am impressed by the fact that Voltaire (1694-1778) led the 'new' (for the time) movement of atheism...
    Here are some quotes I picked up from Candide, perhaps relating to your inquiry:

"for it must be admitted that one might lament a little over the physical and moral happenings of our own world."

"to look upon (life) with horror and yet to cling to (it); in short to caress the serpent which desires us until he has eaten our heart?"

"What! Have you no monks to teach, to dispute, to govern, to intrigue and to burn people who do not agree with them?"

"The malevolence of men revealed itself to his mind in all of its ugliness."

"I confess that when I consider this globe, or rather this globule, I think that God has abandoned it to some evil creature."

March 15, 2017 11:37 AM MDT