Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Have you received one of the IRS scam calls?

Have you received one of the IRS scam calls?

Posted - March 15, 2017

Responses

Why not close your phone account and save a bob or two?
      March 15, 2017 7:19 PM MDT

Ask and you shall have it.
      March 15, 2017 8:32 PM MDT

• Yes a couple and I did not answer but got the number and my wife looked it up on her computer and it was a scam number and she reported it but likely they didn't get caught.  You also get the ones who say you won a lot of prizes and money and you need to send something like $800.00 to get all the prizes. I told them take the $800 out of the prize money, aah what the heck take a $1,000 and they hung up.
      March 16, 2017 8:49 AM MDT

Similar frau attempts have been reported in the UK, where the corresponding department is the HMRC (her Majesty's Revenue & Customs); and the most common forms of call are either a lie about a tax refund or a tax liability.

I've received none of those, but have had occasional attempts by e-mails purporting to be from the bank. Ever so convincing - correct letter-heading, trade-mark etc... only it's a bank I don't use!

One way I dismiss telephone scams about computer problems is to let them waffle on a for a bit then say, "Oh. I'd better warn you. I worked in IT security." I did too. Well, sort of. I cleared old packaging from the IT department's server room.

Last time, I  said simply and quickly, "I know there is no such thing as the 'Windows Corporation, and you are a liar and a crook!" then hung up before he could slam the phone down on me.

The oddest call I ever had was very short:
    "Hello?", I said - I don't give my name and number when answering the 'phone.
    "Good afternoon", said a gentleman with a British accent; politely and civilly. "Is that Mrs. [Durdle]?"
    "Sorry," I replied equally courteously, "I'm Mr. [Durdle]."
    Bang! As he slammed his handset down, immediately and noisily. BT's 1471 enquiry code revealed only "Withheld Number". 
    God knows what he was trying either to sell or elicit; but it occurred to me later he didn't know everything about me and my life, such as my marital status.

April 12, 2017 6:33 PM MDT