Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Are you creative? Do you do craft, or paint, or sew, or build beautiful furniture?

Are you creative? Do you do craft, or paint, or sew, or build beautiful furniture?

In what way to you use your  creativity? Care to share a photograph?

Posted - March 15, 2017

Responses

As soon as I can afford a new sewing machine I plan on resuming quilt making.
      March 15, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

• Sounds good, Sunshine. Lots of very attractive quilts out there.
      March 15, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

I like watching people sew (although I personally loathe sewing) there's just something about it that's so calming and sort of time-stopping.
    Hope you share pics of that quilt once you're done with it :) This post was edited by nobodylair.37 at March 15, 2017 7:37 PM MDT
      March 15, 2017 7:27 PM MDT

• My mother use to have one of those machines with the foot pedal underneath.
    I would spend hours watching her sew.
    I haven't thought about that in years I think.
    Ty.
      March 15, 2017 8:42 PM MDT

• Don't laugh but I enjoy writing some computer code macros ... And photography
      March 15, 2017 4:12 PM MDT

• Why would I laugh? It's a long time since I used any macros -- I've got out of the way fo it -- and I'm a pretty average photographer. Not hopeless, but average. 
      March 15, 2017 6:22 PM MDT

• Thanks Didge ... :)
      March 15, 2017 6:26 PM MDT

• I used to paint some wicked graphics on cars, planes and motorcycles in my day. I was quite good at it and it's an art all it's own. Sure you've seen them but I painted my son's Harley and my cousins B-24. Takes months to do them right.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 16, 2017 3:54 AM MDT
      March 15, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

• Nice .. i admire someone who's good with their hands .. my painting ability is restricted to staying​ inside the lines and carefully using the colour numbers they suggest :)
      March 15, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

• Those are beautiful, Rooster. You just have so many skills. You have to be pleased with those. 
      March 15, 2017 6:30 PM MDT

I sculpt some. I paint statues daily during the warm (or at least non-freezing) months.
      March 15, 2017 5:59 PM MDT

• Apart from the gifts you need for other art forms there always seems something mystical about sculpting. To take a block of wood, a lump of stone, whatever, and to chip away at it till you find the shape you were looking for takes a very special mind. There's more than a little magic in that.
      March 15, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

• I tried sculpting. . .it was really difficult...
      March 15, 2017 8:44 PM MDT

I use clay. There are lots of good tools for it at Hobby Lobby.
      March 16, 2017 9:31 AM MDT

• I had wanted to pursue a living as a potter, something I got into in high school. I went to a two year arts vocational school then, well ended up letting it go.   I had played GHBP for some years, then in '14 had open heart surgery.  This took me out of band for 6 to 8 months and I just fell away form it.  I sometimes dabble with the penny whistle and have a collection of ocarinas I spend time looking at.  Now I suppose my hobby is brooding.  It is free, requires no space and no money.  A good hobby.
      March 15, 2017 6:51 PM MDT

• Mrs  Didge had a good laugh at that. Sorry to hear about the health problems, though.
      March 15, 2017 8:44 PM MDT

• It was an interesting experience. But once will be enough.
      March 15, 2017 8:45 PM MDT

I don't paint, but I draw. I'm not a professional, and I never took classes, it was always something I did for myself.. it relaxes me and helps me zone out of the world for the little while I draw in, I didn't want rules to get in the way of that so it remains just amateurish art.
      March 15, 2017 7:23 PM MDT

• Amateurish? I suppose so. You'd know. But when somebody has an ability to draw -- even if it doesn't rank them high in the art world -- I think it's something well worth pursuing. It's beyond me: I'm fairly normal down to the wrists, but from the wrists down I'm a total moron. 
      March 15, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

The closest to  anything creative that I do is paint my fingernails.
      March 15, 2017 7:24 PM MDT

• And why not? Do you find you paint them better with your dominant hand than with the other? Do you change them for special occasions?
      March 15, 2017 8:47 PM MDT

• For several years, like you Didge I loved to write!
    Got several books out of it, then somehow it got out of my system and not much any more.
    But here are the two I did for my neighbor Jake, born in 1918, a logger all his life, and had the most wonderful love for history and the land I have ever seen.
    The mountain is in Washington State, and the tree is a matriarch of one of the last groves of virgin Sitka spruce...the rest logged in World War One for the little spitfire airplanes, the Red Baron and such.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 16, 2017 9:16 AM MDT
      March 15, 2017 7:44 PM MDT

• I knew about your books, Virginia. Appreciate the covers and downloaded a copy.

You've mentioned Jake before and he reminds me of a workman I met in a National Park in Queensland, far to the north. We were strolling through the park and we came across what could only be a Huon Pine which shouldn't have been there. It should have been in Tasmania, on the south side oif Bass Strait. He spoke very slowly, almost like the caricature of a bumpkin, but he was tuned in to nature and he loved his job. "Not everybody sees that," he said. "Most people just walk through on their way back to the beach and don't see what's here."

I wrote a poem (not a very good one) about him when I got home. I thought the man was extraordinary. And I thought he was the sort of person who could so easily be underestimated.
      March 15, 2017 8:56 PM MDT

• Yes, you know what I am talking about when I tell my love for Jake...that was precisely the fascination, that is the kind of sight Jake had.
      March 15, 2017 9:36 PM MDT