Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Who do you remember from another site who is not a Mugger?

Who do you remember from another site who is not a Mugger?

Any type of site, not necessarily Q&A. And since we won't know who you're talking about there's little point in naming them. But who do you recall? Why? What was it about them that made them memorable?

Posted - March 15, 2017

Responses

• Dozy, I know you will remember SherryA...Rooster probably will too...
    She joined Ask.com just before I did in December 2010, and soon became a moderator, and one of their best.

But SherryA was the first person ever to 'friend' me!
    Quite a big deal, I had never seen Q/A online, I was nervous and concerned and worried about doing things wrong...she would come on Ask every morning and answer a string of homework type questions with irrefutable logic and research, and we liked each other a lot.

Then early 2011, I met you, and you reassured me you felt Ask was safe, good quality site, and you explained about trolls and flame warriors and some basics for staying safe online!

I don't know how old SherryA was, or anything else about her, except that she died of cancer...I miss her.
      March 15, 2017 7:07 PM MDT

• Sherry was my inspiration. I wanted to be able to answer questions as well as she could. She was extraordinary. Even if I'd managed to achieve that feat I'd never have come close to her extraordinary people skills. Her sister was also a Mod on Ask but, for the moment, I've forgotten her name. I'll think of it later.

I was very sad when Sherry died. She was 35.
      March 15, 2017 9:00 PM MDT

• 35!
    ...I had no idea, although initially I assumed she was young...
      March 15, 2017 9:39 PM MDT

Didge, her sisters name was Deana. 
      March 16, 2017 3:49 AM MDT

I used to be on a Jamaican Forum I chatted with a lot of cool people from all around the World but the one I remember best is a lady that lived in Holland. She posted a lot of interesting topics but ever now and then she would make a post about how mad she was at her boy friend. One day she made a post saying that she was done with men and she wanted a imaginary boy friend but she didn't have enough imagination to create one so I created one for her and she loved him. We kept him alive for years (as her friend that she knew since she was a kid) and when we were other Forums we talked about him and people thought he was real - there were even people on FB that thought they knew him. We lost touch a year ago because I don't go on facebook any more Cheers!
      March 15, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

• That's a wonderful story. I love it that there were people who thought they knew him. That's quite an achievement.

Our friend Ancient Hippy from Ask.com has an imaginary friend named Fred Jenkins. Everybody on the site knew about him and we all treated him as though he was a real person.
      March 15, 2017 9:03 PM MDT

Nanoose's answer made me smile. I had the opposite of what he had with a friend. I had a gentleman friend on another site who started referring to me as his imaginary girlfriend in real life because we'd never met. In turn, I started calling him my imaginary boyfriend in the forums and everyone thought I was taking about someone fake. The guy got a kick out of that. A lot of people would play along with me on it, but some would give me crap and tell me to get a real BF. That particular friend faded away, but Nanoose's story brought back some warm memories.

Aside from the gentleman friend... dozens. I can think of dozens of people I've connected with. Each left a mark.
      March 15, 2017 8:16 PM MDT

• Nice story, JA. It's a constant source of wonder to me that we can and do make very real friendships on the Net. And on sites of this nature where we get to interact with each other, it's remarkable how quickly we can make them.
      March 15, 2017 9:05 PM MDT

i remember a few from virtual places...but that was years ago...back when it was free...and they had stores and avatar shops...and paintshop..and fosi had a page...lol
    i remember them because they were good friends on there and mad me laugh alot..and wed all jump on a carpet and go private room busting...
    also a few from answerbag....one who thought she knew it all and threw threw around big words when it wasnt necessary to try to appear smarter and a chronic whiner to name a few.
    also a few more from the same place.

This post was edited by maggie at March 15, 2017 9:07 PM MDT
      March 15, 2017 8:38 PM MDT

• Hi Maggie, it's nice to meet you. I don't think we've bumped into each other before. It sounds as though you've had plenty of nice friends to remember from your travels across the Net.
      March 15, 2017 9:08 PM MDT

nice to meet you too..yeah there were alot of different people..alot of funny ones.

March 15, 2017 9:12 PM MDT

Answerbag was a lot of fun and was full of witty folks.  I miss many of them.  Sadly some have passed away.  I'm glad I have been able to stay in touch with many of them on Facebook.
      March 15, 2017 9:08 PM MDT

• FB does make contact easy. Personally, I don't have an account.
      March 15, 2017 9:17 PM MDT

My account is Thrifty Maid. 
      March 15, 2017 9:28 PM MDT

(I was a member of only one Q&A site, prior to AM). A few ABers from Answer Bag, who are no longer in touch or just disappeared as AB closed when I wasn't logging into internet due to personal reasons for at least 6 months from December 2015 to May 2016. I lost some awesome friends, extremely witty, brilliant and very good people. I regret why I didn't take their email ID's. I dunno where they are. AB used to be a fun place where intellectual minds met, God knows who cast an evil eye...on AB;((
      March 15, 2017 11:30 PM MDT

AB is up and running again.
      March 15, 2017 11:36 PM MDT

But it is not the same, it has deteriorated, Vulgar and profane questions abound that site. I won't step there till decency and normalcy returns! This post was edited by Veena.K at March 16, 2017 12:09 AM MDT
      March 15, 2017 11:40 PM MDT

• Ah well, we now have aM where all is peace and light. Most of the time :)
      March 15, 2017 11:43 PM MDT

Yes indeed Didge, AM has wonderful members like you ( no, this is not flattery) and even if there are a few unpleasant muggers, we could very well avoid them. 
      March 15, 2017 11:46 PM MDT

• I've been working on a couple of people who don't like my style at all. If I can work out a working relationship with them I'll be well pleased. I don't expect to agree with their ideas, nor them with mine, but it adds an interesting flavour to the mix.
      March 15, 2017 11:49 PM MDT

Oh Didge, I understand, I too face antagonism but maybe it is women's instinct, I seem to sense a red alert and then I become wary of them;))
      March 15, 2017 11:52 PM MDT

Bornabrit, Mrs Cleaver, Amber from Answerbag. I miss all of them. I also remember easyedith - her, I don't miss. She was a special kind of stupid.
      March 16, 2017 1:18 AM MDT

• That "special kind of stupid" is clever. Brings up images of one or two people I've run into. There was this woman on Ask who...
      March 16, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

What is the definition of not really being a mugger? I came here after Experience Project shut down.
      March 16, 2017 5:13 AM MDT

I take it's anyone not being signed up at answerMug, as we all are muggers by now... no matter where we came from originally. 
      March 16, 2017 5:31 AM MDT