Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What's the wisest words a wise man or wise woman ever gave you?

What's the wisest words a wise man or wise woman ever gave you?

Once well I was standing around a bon fire a Heritage Chief gave me some words of wisdom in his native tongue. Roughly translated it's  - If ever one let their past mess them up there would be no one to flip your burger at Mc Donald's. Cheers! 

Posted - March 15, 2017

Responses

"When you don't know what to say, keep your mouth shut."
      March 15, 2017 8:41 PM MDT

• A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
    A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.

March 15, 2017 8:42 PM MDT

On the job my middle name is Mr. Safety because I know that a moment of carelessness can cause a lifetime of regret to me or others. Sometimes my middle name is also Mother Hen because if I see someone doing something careless I'll nag at them until they smarting up. Cheers!
      March 15, 2017 8:58 PM MDT

• That is interesting.  I had this sort of conversation with a supervisor at work not long ago.  He wanted more employee to employee "coaching".  My position was if I wanted input from a coworker I'd ask.  And if a coworker offers unsolicited input I'm under no obligation to heed it.  Rarely is unrequested input appreciated.

"Coaching".  God's blood I hate corporate talk!
      March 15, 2017 9:02 PM MDT

I'm a big believer in Human Capital (a happy and well trained employee is priceless to a company) so I like the idea of employee to employee coaching as long as the coach knows the job. Cheers!
      March 15, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

• I have found that the unrequested advice is usually offered by arrogant alpha male types who spuriously believes himself to know everything about every position.  Had I wanted input from this person I'd ask.  I didn't ask so he should keep his yap shut.  I will, if I see a coworker say with an untied shoe lace on which he might trip, point that out.  But if a coworker is working without a hair net, handling food without gloves and such it is not my business.

Training is the position of a supervisor or an individual designated and capable of being in such a position, a person who is recognized to have some amount of authority to instruct others and hopefully has some social skills as well.  Those inclined to "coach" without being in such a position usually don't.

You are certainly right about happy employees.  But receiving unrequested and unwanted "coaching" form a coworker make me unhappy.
      March 15, 2017 9:45 PM MDT

• Im sorry, really, but that has to be one of the funniest things.....I'd like to see how that would go where I work.  Maybe it does work where you do, but you come up to one of these guys with that kind of advice, peer to peer coaching, you'd be lucky if all you get is a big laugh.
      March 15, 2017 10:17 PM MDT

• We were talking bout anger ,this guy and I, he asked me if I got angry last month. I said sure, he asked me about what.. . I didn't remember. . .I said. . . It must not have.been that important. . . He said...That sorta stayed with me.
      March 15, 2017 10:12 PM MDT

"Set your milk back away from the edge of the table so you don't knock it over."
      March 15, 2017 11:01 PM MDT

My Papa always said, I will give you the best education, wealth will follow on its own, fortunately all of us siblings are well educated and we are financially quite stable, he always told us, 'Learning is a treasure no thief can touch!'
      March 15, 2017 11:16 PM MDT

Don't pee on an electric fence.
      March 16, 2017 7:09 AM MDT

Don't say what you think without thinking.

March 16, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

cant remember exactly but im sure ive gotten some
      March 16, 2017 5:43 PM MDT