Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Do you hate coprorate talk?

Do you hate coprorate talk?

Why do corporations have their own fatuous jargon?  A new employee is not hired, he is "on boarded".  A manager does not hold a meeting.  She "facilities" it.  Employees are "family"!  God's wounds! Where does this inane crap come from?!

Posted - March 15, 2017

Responses

• Not quite an answer but I spent the 1980s competing in triathlon. Every lunchtime I ran 6 or 7 km before using a public shower and returning to the office. Those showers were packed as people finished their run, or their game of football, and all scrambled to get cleaned up quickly.

It was easy to tell which were the public servants, even when we were all stark naked. They were the mob who spent the time complaining about grading and overtine and office politics. It was a sad commentary on their attitude.
      March 15, 2017 10:27 PM MDT

• km?  Why do you Aussies need to be so difficult? Geeeeze.
      March 16, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

• I still get confused myself with short measurements. Tell me you're 1.8 metres tall and I wouldn't know whether you were Daffy Duck or King Kong. But my run was just under 4 miles.
      March 16, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

• 4 miles! Good god man!  do you have cars in Oz??
      March 16, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

• I hate the word associate for new employee. 
    The worst is when I find myself buying into the BS. I told this new guy the other day that we didn't have a "problem", that we had a "situation". 
    He raised his eyebrows and I know he was calling me a douche bag under his breath.
      March 15, 2017 11:26 PM MDT

• Perhaps I could facilitate a meeting where we could find ways to partner and change our culture about this issue.
      March 16, 2017 2:33 PM MDT

• Hi Whistle6,
    Well, I kinda struggle with disgust, sometimes...
    I think it's a ploy to increase productivity...maybe the janitor will work more for less money if he/she has the title 'maintenance engineer'...?

It was a major turning point in my life...I can remember sitting at my microscope after years of selfless service, with my health compromised, and the thought came to me like a ton of bricks; "the medical profession in the human body is like a bull in a china shop."

You are seeing through all the garbage, and age 55 is a great time to be thinking for yourself.
      March 16, 2017 12:42 AM MDT

I've encountered people who don't understand the jargon of their own profession! It's just trying to sound cleverer than they really are. To answer the question, yes, I do hate it!
      March 16, 2017 5:00 AM MDT

• Hate it.  It's all made up and arbitrary tripe.  Thinkspeak essentially.   Especially the stupid made up positions in management and job titles.

It's the same thing lawyers and lawmakers do with their legalese crap.  It's so no one can easily interpret it and to create  shadows to hide BS behind.
      March 16, 2017 7:00 AM MDT

• Yes. When I call with a question about my credit card I don't speak to a rep, I speak to a "customer care expert".  Good god!
      March 16, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

• It's just like when you work at a place with a corporate model you have all these different supervisors and mangers with arbitrary and nonsensical differentiations.

If you have problem with  "A" ask Supervisor 1 but if Clerk Supervisor 3 is around then ask him.   Team Manger 12 is in charge of all Supervisors and is above them but what he tells you cannot conflict with your Supervisor or Clerk Supervisor orders. Team Leaders are in no way involved with Team Mangers and are under Shift Supervisors and Clerk Supervisors but have no authority over regular  Supervisors. So basically if Supervisor tells you do this and then his Team Manger tells you not to but do something else you're screwed  no matter what you do.
    Then the worst part is the robots who are sold and programmed  on this chit think the labels are self-evident to normal people. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 16, 2017 8:06 PM MDT
      March 16, 2017 9:12 AM MDT

• At my work place there are several supervisors and a manger over them.  I often will skip the supervisors and ask the manager directly.  this is efficient.
      March 16, 2017 5:54 PM MDT

depends on what theyre talking about
      March 16, 2017 5:27 PM MDT

They sound pretty dumb when they talk like that but management isn't the only group with their own silly language.  

Churches do it too.  The church my mom goes to has it's own little buzzwordy language that's eye roll worthy.  Getting in the horse trough on the stage isn't getting baptized anymore, it's called going public. lol

Liberals and conservatives do it too.  When I hear some phrases I just automatically know it's from either a hardcore liberal or a hardcore conservative so I just dismiss it because buzzwords and catch phrases are just lame.

Where does this inane crap come from?!

I guess it comes from focus groups not that I even know what a focus group is supposed to do except come up with stuff like that.
      March 16, 2017 5:43 PM MDT