Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » buying a used computer/laptop isn't the same as buying a new computer/laptop?

buying a used computer/laptop isn't the same as buying a new computer/laptop?

in the sense that if you buy a used laptop, you aren't the first one to use it, break it in, not experience the cleanliness of a freshly opened laptop from its box etc..

Posted - March 16, 2017

Responses

You're right, especially what MIGHT be embedded on an old hard drive. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at March 16, 2017 6:21 AM MDT
      March 16, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

• When I was a youngster many men took their brides to the altar expecting them to be virginal. What a drag. If the groom is also virginal (always less likely) the wedding night is likely to be a little disappointing for both of them. Experience is a far greater gift to bring to the nuptial bed.

Computers aren't like that at all and although a used computer lacks the panache of an exciting new machine it has a certain been-there-done-that quality. It's experienced. I've only owned one second hand machine -- a genuine IBM laptop. It was pretty good but the previous owner had owned it for too long. Still, for $100 I couldn't complain.

~~~
    But getting back to that first paragraph: I heard of one gentleman who chose an experienced bride and, man of the world, he asked on their wedding night, "And how many men have slept with you darling?" She looked at him a little sourly and drawled, "If you nod off you'll be the first." 
      March 16, 2017 12:37 AM MDT

• True... But look at the huge discount!
      March 16, 2017 1:54 AM MDT

You best bet is to fdisk and then reformat the hard drive. That is not neccesarily easy though as such 'old' laptops usually came with a modified version of windows on it to accomodate and exploit the special low-power chips in that laptop. They were PCs but never exactly the same as PCs, it is going to be a major pain finding a version of Win 10 that will install cleanly, Frankly, I would just not buy it in the first place.
      March 16, 2017 4:02 AM MDT

• Meh.  Never had any attachment or glorification of hardware.     Honestly I kinda loath buying new hardware since like all electronics it's garbage the moment it hits the shelves.  Even cars hold their value better than these things do.
    It's the OS and software that is what makes the experience for me.   A used laptop with a cleaned up or replaced harddrive and a spiffy linux distro does it for me the same. As long as the hardware is reasonably strong enough.
    New or used it's the price to power ratio that I look for.
      March 16, 2017 6:06 AM MDT

• I wouldn't know Skunky! I build my own every couple of years and update them on a yearly basis. I'll build me a new unit this Summer in my spare time and start new again. I'm pretty picky about CPU's, graphic cards and the cooling system as most used or store bought units are just mass manufactured. I take my time and try to build a great unit that's always able to be easily updated with new parts. Not much into Laptops but my Tech buddy builds a few when he has time. Used are OK if they've been properly cleaned and updated.
      March 16, 2017 6:16 AM MDT

• I want to build a new desktop but having a hard time right now trying to make  my price point beat prefab offerings. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 16, 2017 6:54 AM MDT
      March 16, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

• I can usually beat store bought prices by almost half but I have a good connection for parts and such.
      March 16, 2017 6:56 AM MDT

• That sure helps.   Right now I'm just not looking to spend enough.  At around $600 it seems mostly a wash right now.

I personally just can't cope with  spending any more than that on one every five years.
      March 16, 2017 7:23 AM MDT

• For all the graphic work I do for Slitherine? I need the best I can get! For about a $1000.00? I'll have a top of the line unit good for at least five years. $600.00 is usually a good amount to pay for parts and you still get a super PC.
      March 16, 2017 7:28 AM MDT

• Yeah if I was gaming or doing something like that I would spend a lot more.  Actually the relentless expensive hardware upgrading was the final nail in the coffin for me with modern gaming.  I totally get your needs  with what you're doing.
    I thought I would be able to beat prefabs for that price but I haven't rigged any parts together yet that does it yet.

March 16, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

• I don't know a lot about computers for sure but we did buy a refurbished lap top for my daughter a few years ago and really got about no real use out of it. I don't know what the progress is in fixing those but as of that experience, new would be the only way to go.
      March 16, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

• Laptops are hard to fix and overheat the CPU on a regular basis. I know they're nice to have but the life expectancy of them isn't too great.
      March 16, 2017 8:36 AM MDT

• If you buy it refurbished, you can get a significant discount, and it functions as if it were new. I once bought a refurbished iMac and it was indistinguishable from a new one, other than the lower price. 
      March 16, 2017 9:13 AM MDT

i dont think so either
      March 16, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

• But if you buy a used computer, you might not have to use Windows 10
      March 16, 2017 8:47 PM MDT