Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Love is blind. All that lovers see is perfection in the beloved. The rest of us don't see what they do. Would you like to? Why?

Love is blind. All that lovers see is perfection in the beloved. The rest of us don't see what they do. Would you like to? Why?

Posted - March 16, 2017

Responses

• Dear RosieG,
    Yes I would like to see the perfection that lovers see, and actually have been working on that since around 1972 when I read a novel by Sir James Barrie (Peter Pan creator), in which Sir James wrote this:

"Love, it is said, is blind; but love is not blind. It is an extra eye, which shows us what is most worthy of regard. To see the best is to see most clearly, and it is the lover's privilege." This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 17, 2017 7:09 AM MDT
      March 16, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful and informative answer Virginia. I had not heard that quotation before. It is lovely. Happy Friday to you m'dear! :)
      March 17, 2017 7:10 AM MDT

• Not sure it's love as much as just plain unwillingness to see.. no I wouldn't like to be like that... better to be able to see things as they are
      March 16, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

It depends on your eyes DdbTD. If you look at reailty through the eyes of kindness, understanding and acceptance what you see is different than if you were tp look through the eyes of disgust/dislike/hatred. The reality is the same. It is the observer who controls how he views what is there. So whether your reality is harsh or soft is up to you just as what I see is up to me. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 17, 2017 7:16 AM MDT

sure, id rather see what they see
      March 16, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Friday!  :)
      March 17, 2017 7:16 AM MDT

• The perfect stuff doesn't last though does it?  Anyone who's married the love of their life has had to face the reality sooner or later.
      March 16, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

Maybe the tingling subsides a bit but the love/respect/affection deepens over time. The quirks/foibles/idiosyncracies that used to annoy seem charming and not irritating. That's when you know you still love the guy/gal. In my past relationships irritation grew stronger over time until they just became unbearable!. This time it grew weaker and weaker and weaker. Now I smile when he does whatever used to bug me and just think "that's my Jim". I'm pretty sure he does the same for me. We hold hands when we go out together...at 79 and 81. We're not self-conscious because it just seems more natural to us. We both had prior relationships..plural...that didn't last. We're been together now almost 20 years! I think we're gonna keep each other! Thank you for your reply Yogafan! :)
      March 17, 2017 7:08 AM MDT

• The question was "Love Is Blind"  that's what I was responding to.
      March 17, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

It's like beer goggles, but the love mechanism probably uses a different chemical to a similar effect.  This post was edited by Malizz at March 17, 2017 10:47 AM MDT
      March 17, 2017 7:23 AM MDT