Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Weather » I have a burning desire to go out and prune my hydrangea... do you ever have any burning desires?

I have a burning desire to go out and prune my hydrangea... do you ever have any burning desires?

Spring seems to have sprung the last few days.... the sun is shining, things are a little easier at home re my daughter and son has an interview Monday... so I have been able to appreciate the sun and the signs of spring... went out into the garden just to nosey around when I got home from work....felt sooooooo good to be out... But now I have to wait in.... cos son has parcels being delivered... sooo want to go outside again!

Posted - March 16, 2017

Responses

• Hydrangea do not produce prunes. Stop it.
      March 16, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

• But, but, but.. might it produce prunes if I trim it properly?
      March 16, 2017 10:36 AM MDT

• It would be a miracle.
      March 16, 2017 10:52 AM MDT

• I get this burning desire to rip up the hosta.  Ugly, ugly plant and it just creeps.
      March 16, 2017 10:30 AM MDT

• lol nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I had this same debate with a friend of mine in Ohio when I visited.. She hated hostas.. and wanted to get rid of them but what you and she aren't understanding is... we have a terrible time trying to grow hostas.. ours get nibbled so badly by slugs that they look terrible.. if ONLY I could grow hostas like you guys can...I DO Have a pic and can prove it!
      March 16, 2017 10:35 AM MDT

• Actually the slugs and snails it attracts and how hard it is to find them in it is part of what I don't like about them.  Between the slugs it draws to the garden bed and how it pushes out the other things I like better it annoys the hell out of me. Plus just isn't an attractive plant to me.   It's lucky it has a sentimental attachment with me.
      March 16, 2017 10:40 AM MDT

• Yes but if you saw my poor more holey than not.. the specimens my friend had in Ohio were glorious compared to my shredded mess... 
      March 16, 2017 11:21 AM MDT

I have done it!!!

I was ripping out the hosta the first week I moved in my old house.  It was the drab, single color type that had taken over the front yard.

You know what I discover about hosta?  Nothing kills it.  Seriously.  I had some of the rippings sitting in my driveway all summer and did they die?  Nooooooo.
      March 16, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

• Yep.  I removed a few of the other ones and the root stock kept popping up for about 4 years before I won the battle.

This and all the other plantings that are now gone were the veriegated  type with the cream colored white stripes in the leaves.
      March 16, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

• Lol oh noooooooooooooooooo those are my fav ones.. the variegated ones.. oh nooooo how could you! I'd practically sell my soul for a huge magnificent specimen of a variegated hosta...
      March 16, 2017 4:16 PM MDT

• I know you aren't going to believe it but they are really easy to kill here.. too easy... and they remain relatively small here too because the snails weaken them so much. I am going tohave to dig out my pic at this rate...
      March 16, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

• Have you ever tried putting down iron phosphate?
      March 16, 2017 8:30 PM MDT

• Like a triffid?
      March 16, 2017 10:51 AM MDT

• Lol, Kinda
      March 16, 2017 10:52 AM MDT

• I bet you have more burning desires before lunch each day than most people have in a lifetime :P
      March 16, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

not lately
      March 16, 2017 3:23 PM MDT