Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What have you told your kids about bullies?

What have you told your kids about bullies?

Posted - March 16, 2017

Responses

• No, not yet.  
      March 16, 2017 12:21 PM MDT

• Ahh I could write a book :( All my kids were bullied.. my daughter even more so and she is currently out of school because she was bullied pretty much non stop at her high school, ( we call it secondary school) and the school knew but bullying was so endemic that I don;t think they knew where to begin.. they COULD have dealt with it by having a zero tolerance but they prefered to try to blame the victim...

SO I have told my daughter loads about bullies and bullying... I've made sure she knows it isn't right, it isn't ok.. it isn't acceptable.. its WRONG... I have told her that she should not let them make her feel bad, sadly that hasn't worked as non stop bullying makes anyone lose their self esteem...

I've told her I would not blame her if she hit back.. she won't as she believes that two wrongs don't make a right...

I have told her they are horrible people... 

And lots more besides...
      March 16, 2017 12:31 PM MDT

My son is on the high end of the autism spectrum and he took a lot of abuse for his poor social skills.  This is when I think adults have to intervene.  Ideally, we want to give them tools to handle just about anyone in life, but some kids can't handle what others can.  

I inevitably pulled my son out of a school when the bullying escalated to physical violence.  He finally swung back and got suspended with the perpetrator.  That was enough for me.  

If we can't teach our kids that it's OK to defend themselves, they take on abuse that can really shape their self esteem. 
      March 17, 2017 11:55 AM MDT

That most bullies are suckers for a right cross. Cheers!
      March 16, 2017 12:45 PM MDT

I hate that Americans have bastardized yet another English word by over and extended use.  I don't use the word bully at all  now that the wussy American  society attached that word to aggressive people.  Being aggressive is a positive personality trait.  Being violent is not.  Americans seem to no longer know the difference. 
      March 16, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

• Not sure I agree with you there thrifty, "being aggressive is a positive personality trait"  being assertive can be positive, but aggressive not really..  cite... ADJECTIVE 1. quarrelsome or belligerent  - so being quarrelsome and belligerent is a good thing? You may feel differently to me on that one. I can be as belligerent as is needed, and I can take on people who are aggressive.. and I DO, Indeed it's kinda what I do.. I stand up to them cos I know not everyone can... but I would never ever pretend it's a positive thing to be belligerent ..  Aggression to me implies selfishness, an imposing one's will on others, to me that's not nice behaviour and personally I think that's one of the things that's wrong with the world - people are now so much more selfish, arrogant and aggressive.. Standards have slipped not improved.  I know you will feel differently of course.. 
      March 16, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

We distinguish between aggressiveness and assertiveness.

Assertiveness can also get you what you want, and sometimes more easily than aggressiveness.

But I think we're still pretty much on the same side here.
      March 16, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

When my son was in school and was bullied I told him that they are like that because they must have a very bad home life and not treated very well so they take it out on others.
    I told him to ignore them unless they put their hands on him. Then know them out.

March 16, 2017 1:54 PM MDT

i dont have kids but if i did i would tell them how mean they are, had some in middle school
      March 16, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

Thank you pearl.
      March 16, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

• I have no kids ..... But i did once slap a girl in a library and fill a girls shoes with rocks behind a portable and dump them on her headin grade five . was having a bad year at home... so I would say that bully probably in more pain than you are .... But still she needs get punched in the throat to smarten up.... Cos. I was only a bully for 6 months-ish so it's fine :)
      March 16, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

I explained a few things to both my kids when they were young.  

I told them that I would not tolerate them bullying others; that their actions could have far reaching consequences to a someone that they didn't understand.

I also told them that they could come to me anytime they felt bullied; that they could share all their feelings with me.  If I felt like it was affecting their well being, I would intervene.  Sometimes these things can't be worked out without adults getting involved.  
      March 17, 2017 11:48 AM MDT