Discussion » Questions » Politics » How To Preserve Individual Freedom? Best of Both Worlds? Political question…gentle thoughtful, no rage please.

How To Preserve Individual Freedom? Best of Both Worlds? Political question…gentle thoughtful, no rage please.

In the tiny community of Evaline, WA there is a three-room schoolhouse, a century old, and its 40 students are consistently among the best in the state; both scholastic and sports.

But the people fought massive odds to resist centralization and preserve their community school; raised $100’s of K’s, overcame at least two “impossible” obstacles thrown at them, both of which should have been grandfathered anyway.

In this process of government bullying, local liberals became conservative and life-long Democrats turned Republican; they would have voted red in this election had his last name been Duck.

So the Q, should you choose to address it:
Liberal v. Conservative; how do we stop fighting each other and build a government that works?

Posted - March 16, 2017

Responses

I am told that my posts are confrontational on subjects like this one, so here is an elephant with a dog on its head:

March 16, 2017 1:55 PM MDT

• Well it seems to be working well in your photo, Jewels, very dear, big smile, love it, thank you! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 16, 2017 7:51 PM MDT
      March 16, 2017 2:01 PM MDT

• Only sometimes, Jewels. I was trying to explain my position, not to criticise your style. :)
      March 16, 2017 2:10 PM MDT

• It ain't gonna happen.  US politics, far more than the political scrapping observed in other countries' news stories, contains an element of the implacable that often turns to hatred. 

You could try the Australian solution. Our conservatives call themselves the Liberal Party, which they most definitely are not. Their extremists would be welcomed with open arms by the Tea Party. Our liberals call themselves the  Australian Labor Party (yes, with American spelling) but haven't been truly a labour party for more than 40 years. So all you need to do is change the names to confuse the issue.

There is also a phenomenon called "the donkey vote". We have compulsory voting so too many people  with no interest in politics just number their candidates down the page in the order they're printed and with no consideration of who they are or what they represent. I imagine that a donkey vote in the US would be a blue vote. :)

I was once told by a leading senator who visited our company that both parties agreed on the same things about 95% of the time -- "but on the other 5% we fight tooth and nail". Republicans and Democrats are such entrenched enemies that I doubt if America could come close to that 95% agreement. It's more like a family picnic for the Hatfields and McCoys.
      March 16, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

• Dozy I have some concern that you may be correct, in your assessment of US political scrapping...and so urgent for us to move along, somehow. 
    Another concern for the US, I fear our racial antagonism may be greater than found in other countries. I tend to ascribe lots of that to some particularly benighted SCOTUS decisions...although that may be overly simplistic.
    Thank you!
      March 16, 2017 2:34 PM MDT

• There's racism in every country, though you do have an unenviable record. 
      March 16, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

not sure how
      March 16, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

• Thank you, Pearl...and yes, I am not sure ANYONE knows how...
      March 16, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

• Personally  I can't see how anyone could turn to antagonism over this post... it's a gentle post and likely to cause gentle answers... We all value freedom on this list.. we go about it in different ways and have different ideas... but we all value it.

Ok to make this a bit controversial... cant see how anyone can work with Duck... because he doesn't want to work with people.. he wants them to capitulate and do what he wishes.. that's not working together.. sadly one of my problems with the man is that he is practically impossible to either ignore or work with... but your sentiment that it's ideal to work together is spot on
      March 16, 2017 3:54 PM MDT

• Thank you for thoughtfulness and concern, DDBTD.
      March 16, 2017 4:03 PM MDT

I wanted to reply to your answer to the question (whose link is below), but it required more time than I had to make my reply understandable.

What you have brought up in this question makes it much easier.

You mention that even someone named Donald (Duck) could have been elected.  ("local liberals became conservative and life-long Democrats turned Republican; they would have voted red in this election had his last name been Duck.") 

I think in the recent USA presidential election, people wanted no more "Obamarism" and voted red. 

Unfortunately, I think no one considered sufficiently whether a relatively uneducated person who has by virtue of his money has always had the final say in most areas of his life, and who thinks small cats (pussies) are his for the taking might on balance turn out to be worse for our democracy than a candidate less personally compromised but of a possibly less desired philosophical position. 

Which points out that the unfortunate reality that the members of a democracy do not always engage in behavior which is guaranteed to preserve the democracy.

And isn't the general difference between red and blue the how to achieve what the majority of us see as good, rather than the what?

I don't know how things are going to play out during his term---but I am pleased that our government also includes a Congress and a Judiciary.

Perhaps we will only be able to treat water until a rescue becomes possible in 2020.

And here's the link to that question I mentioned:

http://answermug.com/forums/topic/25595/stupid-president/view/post_id/219505

March 16, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

• Insightful answer TJ which brings out the points I was pondering as i wrote this Q...
    the .."engage in behavior...to preserve the democracy;" I don't think we can solve much by bashing Trump, the responsibility lies with we the people...
    The three branches, yes I recall a civics teacher, our government set up to thus absorb mistakes, bungles...

And the difference lying in the how rather than the what...I used this school example because WA is primarily a red state that always goes blue because of liberal Seattle population concentration. And I know what people endure, the constraints of heavy-handed government, big government unaware and not really caring either.

I hope that rescue does arrive in 2010, in the form of both political parties becoming more responsive to the philosophy of democracy.
      March 16, 2017 5:36 PM MDT

• I'm going to take the opposite view... The answer is really rather simple... It's called thinking... Thinking rather than reacting.
    Rather than accept the party line you probably inherited, think about the issues, research them... Come to your own conclusions... Once you've done that decide if what is best for you is really the best thing for others also, the country and the world as they are not always the same!
    Getting the people to think thought, aye, there's the rub!
      March 16, 2017 7:17 PM MDT

• That is something I do wish could be introduced in the schools...from early on...
    ty, Ozgirl! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 17, 2017 11:39 AM MDT
      March 16, 2017 8:07 PM MDT

• It would be nice
      March 16, 2017 8:09 PM MDT

Sadly, critical thinking is not something that is as valued as it should be here in the U.S. 
      March 17, 2017 9:36 AM MDT

Hi Virginia~ I'm smiling at myself because I'm about to enter dangerous territory.  This is why.
    My Grandparents were hosting an elaborate cocktail party one afternoon.  I was 14 years old which is just the right age to put your foot in your mouth.  Knowing, as grandmas normally do, I might just do such a thing, she pulled me aside and shared these words of wisdom:
    "At any kind of social gathering, there are three things that are taboo to you.  Sex.  Religion.  Politics.  If you find yourself in a conversation with these topics, simply excuse yourself and gracefully walk away.  If you do choose to engage in such topics, you may find your dearest friends not to be so friendly."

I've been pretty good at adhering to 3/4 of those words of wisdom. But because you are you and asked so kindly, I feel pretty safe to throw my small token of thought in the basket. 

I would like to suggest we simply Stop.  Stop being "the problem."  We are the problem we have created.  We created the parties.  We created the anger, name throwing, and finger pointing.  We, don't seem to be happy unless we are fighting with each other.  Stop. We are all here at the same time, breathing the same air,  drinking the water, polluting, and conserving, breeding and dying.  The planet will continue to spin on her axis with or without us bickering.   Why not enjoy our time here together? It is a truly magical place to be.
    Stop being the problem and be the solution.
    Thank you Virginia and everyone who took the time to read.  It can happen.  Be the solution. 

March 16, 2017 8:32 PM MDT

•  Very fine Grandma, Merline...ty
      March 16, 2017 8:46 PM MDT

Merlin, you just brought my grandmother to mind with your post.  Not that she was as wise as yours, oh no. lol. But,she loved me unconditionally and when she was particularly enamored of me on a certain day (maybe I said or did something she thought was sweet and/or loving) she would say:  "I could just eat you up!" and give me a squeeze.  So Merlin, I am saying to you what my grandmother said to me and giving you a virtual squeeze.  You really are just too sweet for words.
      March 17, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

Portrait of young girl hugging her dog
    Thank you Harry!!  The feeling is mutual.  You are part of what keeps this world turning despite all the conflict.  If you have an opportunity today, please do take a breath of fresh air, smile, and know.  Lots of hugs and loves to you and Ruby and all the creatures who live here too.  Love, Merlin
      March 17, 2017 11:06 AM MDT

Merlin, you are correct. It is impossible to explain man's failure to do any such thing without supposing the existence of a devil.
      March 19, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

There is no best of both worlds.

Compromise won't save us. That's what western society has been doing and this is where it has led. The U.S. is 20 trillion in debt and has 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities. Collapse is probably inevitable at this point.

Liberalism is just orwellian double think. Liberals need to stop fence sitting and decide whether they believe in Marxism or liberty.
      March 17, 2017 2:23 AM MDT

• Pretty much everyone's in debt.. liberal or not.. lol not so sure about the commies.. perhaps they are doing well... maybe we should take a leaf out of their book :P It's probably not liberalism that causes debt.. but greed 
      March 17, 2017 10:36 AM MDT

• Hi TrumpianZeitgeist,
    Your comment reminded me that I can recall when national debt reached $1 trillion - it was 1981, with much brouhaha. I am not sure I could agree with your last sentence, but your sobering comment overall is well taken and much appreciated.

I went Googling and found a 2014 article by David Stockman that I don't fully understand, but plan to study more. I would have expected Stockman to be solidly Republican camp, but he seems not to hesitate in assigning this massive growth in debt to wherever he perceives it to belong...

Although  'blame' might not even be relevant at this point...so precariously brink of collapse...
    Again, thank you...your informative post makes me especially glad to have brought the Q.

"By the time the 12 years of the Reagan-Bush administrations has elapsed, the national debt had reached $4.3 trillion, and was now 4X the size of national debt that Jimmy Carter had left behind."
    ~ David Stockman
    http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/only-yesterday-how-the-federal-debt-went-from-1-trillion-to-18-trillion-in-33-years/
      March 17, 2017 11:28 AM MDT