Discussion » Questions » Politics » What's the prez's view on this

What's the prez's view on this

Will the prez allow this?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2017/03/17/pakistan-asks-fbi-and-facebook-to-help-catch-blasphemers/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&yptr=yahoo#4ea59fc25076

Posted - March 17, 2017

Responses

No one knows his view on this except him.  I can make a guess though if you like.  Unless he is looking for something from Pakistan in return, he won't allow FBI resources to be used on this issue.  
      March 17, 2017 9:24 AM MDT

Antipathy to the Pakistani concept of blasphemy is probably one of the few things Trump and the establishment agree on. 

On the other hand, Pakistan is likely pushing on the fact that the US want to keep them onside. 

I wonder if they went direct to the FBI rather than involving the prez... 
    This post was edited by Malizz at March 17, 2017 10:17 AM MDT
      March 17, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

I'm not convinced that Trump, at this point in time, is concerned with keeping Pakistan happy.   Re: direct to FBI & not involving the President -- it's one of those things that we can only guess at.   It's hard to imagine the Pakistan government would circumvent Trump if their intention is to extradite those people who are living in the U.S.  Considering the penalty is death, extradition would be an uphill battle to start with.
      March 17, 2017 10:30 AM MDT

It is only that Pakistan is of sufficient strategic importance not to be upset and they know it. Even Trump had the sense not to include it in his notorious travel ban.

Realistically, their request is merely intended as a minor embarrassment to keep the pressure on. 
      March 17, 2017 11:44 AM MDT