Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » AnswerBag was full of God HATERS and I don't miss that. Do you feel this site offers more RELIGIOUS freedom of expression?

AnswerBag was full of God HATERS and I don't miss that. Do you feel this site offers more RELIGIOUS freedom of expression?

I do :)

Posted - March 17, 2017

Responses

• I think it does. I'm not a god hater but I don't believe in the christian god. Not much religious problems here but I have seen it at other sites. Like politics? I ignore it.
      March 17, 2017 8:27 AM MDT

Trump is now the god and Trumpism is now the religion hot for discussion. 
      March 17, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

• AM is (as AB was) an open pubic forum for the exchange of ideas.  Yes, one will find his religious views questioned or even mocked.  This is the risk one takes in making one's views public.   I find too often what religious people want is deference, no questions, even sincere inquiry, no challenge and absolutely no fun making.  If one does not want questions and challenges it may be best to not publically declare one's views. 
      March 17, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

So True for any topic ... whether it be religion, politics, sports, etc
      March 17, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

• Yes. any topic. But religion tends to generate more emotionally charged reaction than say making fun of one's sports team.   Also there are some people who look for offense or create it where it is not given.  This is very curious and perhaps a tad difficult to understand.  I suspect it stems from a desire to feel or play "victim" or to feel self righteous.  An example.  I work with a wide range of people form cultures or heritage other than US.  So one day in a discussion about music I simply said that I don't care for Mexican music.  A Mexican coworker put on a show of offense and declared me a "racist".
      March 17, 2017 3:17 PM MDT

• Well said, Whistle.
      March 17, 2017 2:53 PM MDT

• "God haters" is a pejorative term, as you intended. It is the equivalent of ringing the bell at the start of a boxing match and guarantees that any self-respecting atheist is likely to come out fighting, while grinning at the inanity. After all, how can you hate something that doesn't exist? 

I had no experience of AM, of course, but on the Ask community religion was a hostile subject. There were offenders from both sides as the born-agains and their ilk pushed their agenda and were met by non-believers who didn't appreciate having religion thrust down their throats.

It wasn't all one way, of course, and we had plenty of aggressive topics posted by atheists and their ilk.

I'm very happy to be on a site like aM where the subject rarely comes up.
      March 17, 2017 2:51 PM MDT

i never noticed any god haters, also, they started another answerbag after it closed
      March 17, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

Really? Tell more.
      March 17, 2017 8:49 PM MDT