Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "No man is an island entire of itself...." per John Donne. Populists/Nationalists ARE islands unto themselves are they not?

"No man is an island entire of itself...." per John Donne. Populists/Nationalists ARE islands unto themselves are they not?

Populism/Nationalism is the antithesis of Globalism. Which do you support and why?

Posted - March 17, 2017

Responses

• Weeeeeel you know I have a deep distrust of this word populism... it means the common man, the average joe.. but see it's not that simple... if populism means the most popular vote then we should listen..  but it's used in a negative way... which worries me.. 

Lets remember.. Trump didn't win the popular vote.. he won the vote of the common man.. heaven knows why... 

I truly don't thik there is any direct, or even indirect really, link between populism and nationalism.. they are imo two different things
      March 17, 2017 10:10 AM MDT

So are you saying that populist can be Globalists then DdbTD? Those who believe in Nationalism do not believe in Globalism. Nationalism is defined as "devotion and loyalty to one's own nation". The definition of Populism  is multifaceted. "Anti-establishment or anti-intellectual political movements or philosophies that appeal to the common person rather than a political or partisan ideology. Grass roots democracy. Working class activism". I see the same person representing both Nationalism and Populism. Neither one of them is remotely interested in what is going on in the world or intellectually curious. They are both provincial and inner-directed. I see rigidity and a rejection of "the other" in  both camps. So I guess we disagree. I support globalism. I believe I am my brother's keeper and that brother isn't limited to those living in America. Maybe because I am first-generation American. I don't know the why. I just know what is. Thank you for your reply DdbTD! :)
      March 17, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

no but some people make themselves into an island
      March 17, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

1. Answer to your question is "yes".
    2. The second one is not easy to answer. Globalization is complicated, so I will need time to investigate it. 
      March 17, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

• I'm a reformed nationalist. I used to think that it was good to be focused on having an identity, a sense of shared history, a shared sense of accomplishment or even a sense of unity in facing common problems and common enemies. Or, as we used to say in the Air Force, "Pride in the Past and Faith in the Future". I've come to realize that strength and leadership through innovation and creative abilities just doesn't hold a candle to the wonderful predicament of being a struggling, developing country on the world stage. I think that since we lack the moral and ethical character and backbone to lead, we should let the nations of the world regulate and completely control our economy, political structure, technology, military and social existence. This could be done on a yearly basis with let's say, China in charge for a while and then maybe Trinidad/Tobago having a shot at it. The sooner that the entity known as the USA disappears from the map, the sooner all of mankind's troubles and problems will end. 
      March 17, 2017 10:13 PM MDT