Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Trump quoted an "Irish proverb" that turns out to be Nigerian. At it again is he? Begosh/begorra d'ya believe the man about anything?

Trump quoted an "Irish proverb" that turns out to be Nigerian. At it again is he? Begosh/begorra d'ya believe the man about anything?

Albasheer Adam Alhassan, a Nigerian Banker, wrote the poem when he was in college and posted it online over 10 years ago. Trump said "As we stand together with our Irish friends I''m reminded of that proverb...and this is a good one, this is one I like. I've heard it for many  many years and I love it".

"Always remember to forget the friends that proved untrue
But never forget to remember those that have stuck by you"

Alhassan learned about it from his sister and he was surprised. I wonder if The Donald will be surprised to learn the real origin and apologize to Albasheer Adam Alhassan for not attributing it to him? I wonder.

Posted - March 17, 2017

Responses

• This may be an unfair accusation.  I suspect it is mostly likely a staff member prepared this for Trump to say.  If this is so then the mistake is on the staffers part for poor research.
      March 17, 2017 1:26 PM MDT

Nope - the vindictive nature of the proverb is like nothing the Irish would ever come up with but is perfectly in tune with Trump's philosophy.

Genuine Irish proverbs are full of whimsy and good cheer, not nastiness. 
      March 17, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

• This does not at all refute my statement.
      March 17, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

Trump got caught in yet another lie. At the very least he owes an apology to the poet. But of course Trump is perfect so he never has anything about which to apologize. Right Louie? Happy Saturday! :)
      March 18, 2017 5:24 AM MDT

So let's not blame Trump for lying again then? HE is the one who said he has enjoyed it for many many years whistle. Not his staffers. If they wrote that line for him and he said it while being completely ignorant about the origin of the poem that is on him not them. He cannot help lying about everything. But if you do not see that and keep defending him that is certainly your right. He has done much worse that that of course. It was so unnecessary a lie. So small. So insignificant. He is powerless to speak to truth. Why that is I don't know. Thank you for your reply.
      March 18, 2017 5:22 AM MDT

• I neither defend or deprecate Trump.  It is a matter of complete indifference to me. 
      March 18, 2017 8:19 AM MDT

not sure what to believe to be honest
      March 17, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

• I looked it up and found this:

The poem is mentioned on various websites as an Irish proverb, such as Pinterest boards, Imgur galleries and a website called "DecentQuotes.com."

It is also featured on a page of ‘St Patrick’s Day blessings’, which also includes such "Irish" phrases as “Dance as if no one were watching”.

Speaking after Mr Trump at the luncheon, where the president had called him a "new friend", Mr Kenny joked: "They say the Irish have the capacity to change everything. I just saw the president of the United States read from his script ... entirely."

Maybe that's why he thought it was Irish. 

March 18, 2017 8:25 AM MDT