Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Cheyenne - if a man is as wise as a serpent, he can afford to be as harmless as a dove....can you understand what this means ( I can't)?

Cheyenne - if a man is as wise as a serpent, he can afford to be as harmless as a dove....can you understand what this means ( I can't)?

Posted - March 17, 2017

Responses

• I left an answer for this but really missed the point. Virginia's answer is much better.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 18, 2017 2:25 PM MDT
      March 18, 2017 12:29 AM MDT

Oh I would have luved to see what you wrote Didge! This post was edited by Veena.K at March 18, 2017 2:28 PM MDT
      March 18, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

• It was more of a dismissal than an answer. It wouldn't have added anything to anybody's knowledge. I wasn't being a smart-ass: I just approached it from the wrong point of view.
      March 18, 2017 2:29 PM MDT

But I still would have like it...Didge;))
      March 18, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

• It wouldn't have added anything. It wasn't offensive but I missed the point. It was irrelevant and possibly misleading.
      March 18, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

• Hi Veena.K,

Serpent being an archetypal symbol for Earth wisdom...
    I think the Cheyenne proverb has to do with the definition of power...as we develop our own wisdom, we move away from "the jungle law of tooth and claw"...

Another Cheyenne proverb is "Our first teacher is our own heart."

So true power is more the power of being, of the heart, something more like "I Am That I Am," and so we come to live more like Gandhi perhaps, the power of AHIMSA...harmlessness.

March 18, 2017 1:13 AM MDT

• That's a much better answer than mine. 
      March 18, 2017 2:59 AM MDT

• Dozy, I actually have given seminars on just this topic...the deeper meaning of power. It came out of one of those inner experiences, toward which you yourself also are a bit prone...
    It's a universal fact of life, so I just recognized it in the Cheyenne proverb...you should have left your answer up! I actually used your answer to stair-step to my own.
      March 18, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

• I was tempted to delete it altogether. You were spot on with this. I couldn't see through it at all. 
      March 18, 2017 1:47 PM MDT

Yep,  If you are wearing sharp spurs, you can afford to cover them up with velvet untill you need them.
      March 18, 2017 5:45 PM MDT

I bow to your wisdom Virginia, I read your answer a couple of times, it then registered in my mind. Thank you so very much!
      March 18, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

• True wisdom lies in the avoidance of violence, anger and destruction. I think it fair to contrast that ignorance is fed by these things.

Snakes were cast in old pagan ideology as wily or wise, doves as gentle. The analogy is clear. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 18, 2017 2:29 PM MDT
      March 18, 2017 6:19 AM MDT

No the analogy wasn't clear to me Z. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it very much. 
      March 18, 2017 2:31 PM MDT

• Serpents are symbolic of being cunning, clever, and deceptive.   If you have those qualities you are able to detect them and therefore have no need to impose them on others.

Having might ( in the form of wisdom here ) means you are protected enough to not have to use it for domination.  Only the weak and ignorant need to force themselves on others.
      March 18, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

Splendid, thanks Glis, i am now getting a clear idea.I'm glad I asked this question. All of the responses are just fabulous.
      March 18, 2017 2:34 PM MDT

Of course,  my Veena, I can explain.   Old School says HI.  (he told me to say that) LOL

Anyway, if you are wise?  You are non-violent.

The end.

March 18, 2017 2:33 PM MDT

Hi Sharonna, so glad so glad, hope you are great dear. Say my hi to Old School too;))
    ummm that's good, so simply stated.
      March 18, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

It's about time we can both be awake and say hello to one another.  I have been SO busy, Veena, I am relieved you are still on here.   You know I used to be on Answer Bag every day no matter what, and I was kind of like that on here too, but then life happened and I need to graduate massage school and I have been really busy.

I am done with most of it.   Old School is down here and is my room mate.  LOL

We are trying to keep one another sane under some rather insane circumstances.\

I'm glad you are still here.   You added A LOT to Answer Bag for all of us.

Love Sharonna
      March 18, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

Oh Sharonna that's great, so soon you are going to graduate....YAY! OMG really, room mate WOW;))
    umm thanks dear, you know how we were in AWE of you on AB
      March 18, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

The Biblical reference is Matthew 10:16.

I think the idea is to warn the disciples not to be naive; it's a wicked world out there, but not to do harm themselves. 

March 18, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

Oh thanks Malizz!
      March 18, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

i dont think i understand it either
      March 19, 2017 5:31 PM MDT