Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Other than a family member or a close friend, is there somebody who inspires you?

Other than a family member or a close friend, is there somebody who inspires you?

Is there somebody who has achieved so much in a field that interests you that you have taken the trouble to learn about them and their lives, and how they managed to do so much?

Posted - March 18, 2017

Responses

• Oh yes...and his life was introduced to me by you...Alan Turing.
    VERY inspiring to me, I think he was one of those key people possibly responsible for single-handed bailing out the Allied cause in WWII...maybe FDR another, his decision to support England all-out...along with a few of the French Resistance, sabotaging railroads delay by two weeks the crack German Panzers arriving to meet the Allies after D-day...

Isn't his birthday coming up, wasn't it April 2013 or '14 or '15 that you mentioned him on his birthday?
      March 18, 2017 12:43 AM MDT

• I just looked him up. June 23, 2012. An amazing man.

And, yes, FDR did a lot to help the Allied war effort before the Japanese forced the US to go to war. he had much opposition from his own government (understandably -- who needs another war?) and was constantly sabotaged by Joe Kennedy, JFK's father and then the US ambassador to the Court of St James.
      March 18, 2017 12:54 AM MDT

• I traveled the Hudson River 2002 I think...FDR's home there now a museum, and for the first time I really understood the pressure he was under when he made that decision. Then, wasn't it you who suggested a superb book, I think the title something like A MAN CALLED INTREPID?
      March 18, 2017 1:21 AM MDT

• Yep. The story of Sir William Stephenson. In real life he was all the thriller heroes rolled into one. An amazing man. I remember Shiny Pate was very keen on the book, too.
      March 18, 2017 2:58 AM MDT

• Thomas Jefferson. Hard to list many others who accomplished as much in so many areas as he. I've studied his life, read his works and even attended the University of Virginia, which he founded. He changed the world for the better.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 18, 2017 2:25 PM MDT
      March 18, 2017 6:05 AM MDT

• It wasn't an answer I expected but, yeah, what a great choice. People like Jefferson don't happen along very often.
      March 18, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

• GG Allin
      March 18, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

• I had to look him up. He sounds like an angry man. Isn't he an odd choice?
      March 18, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

At this point and time in my life, there's only one person and you all know who that is already.
      March 18, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

Not one but many, Didge. But the outstanding one is none other than Mother Teresa. I won an essay competition in high school when I wrote about her. An Yugoslavian who came to India, lived amidst lepers ( then a social stigma). She said,“By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus. ”Small of stature, rocklike in faith, Mother Teresa of Calcutta was entrusted with the mission of proclaiming God’s thirsting love for humanity, especially for the poorest of the poor. “God still loves the world and He sends you and me to be His love and His compassion to the poor.” She was a soul filled with the light of Christ, on fire with love for Him and burning with one desire: “to quench His thirst for love and for souls.”
    Some of her brilliant inspiring quotes are - If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
    Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.
    Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.

This post was edited by Veena.K at March 18, 2017 9:02 PM MDT
      March 18, 2017 9:00 PM MDT

lots of people inspire me
      March 18, 2017 9:45 PM MDT