Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » Can you name one postive and one negative of consumerism?

Can you name one postive and one negative of consumerism?

One of each.   Don't be greedy consumerist with your answers people. ;)

Posted - March 18, 2017

Responses

• I don't see any good in consumerism.
      March 18, 2017 11:31 AM MDT

• Yet you own a computer and presumably other consumer goods.
      March 18, 2017 11:38 AM MDT

• Why are you coming to me and bother me with a non argument, go bother someone else.
      March 19, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

• Receiving a response is part of participation in an open public forum. If this bothers you, you may do well to withdraw. 

My statement holds.  You see nothing good in consumerism, yet you participate in it both by consuming the goods others provide and by earning a living. 

Your refutation to my statement is powerful!  I especially like the "go bother someone else", snappy!
      March 19, 2017 10:25 AM MDT

• You think you want to get into it with me, and you really don't. So, like I said, go bother someone who cares.
      March 19, 2017 10:32 AM MDT

• Is this a challenge?  A threat?  Or just adolescent posturing?  Can you, or can you not, support your statement or refute mine?  You suggest you don't care, yet you respond.  Curious.
      March 19, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

• You win
      March 19, 2017 10:47 AM MDT

• I was looking for a reasoned discussion, not a "win" as there is no contest.
      March 19, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

• You  would never own a TV, cellphone, or computer without it.  No stylish cloths.  Likely no car. No Right Guard.   The list goes on pretty far. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 19, 2017 10:14 AM MDT
      March 18, 2017 11:46 AM MDT

• How bout next time, before I answer, you and whistle tell me what the right answer is.
    Obviously I must not know what consumerism is.
      March 19, 2017 10:08 AM MDT

• That's not how I meant it.   Sorry it came off as that. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 19, 2017 10:14 AM MDT
      March 19, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

• Sure Glis. 
    Maybe I took it wrong, no sweat.
      March 19, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

• Seriously.   Not so sure those things are really that good in the bigger picture.
      March 19, 2017 10:37 AM MDT

• To answer your question Glis, consumerism points to the acquisition of things just for the sake of having them, and there's an element of always needing more to it as well.
    In that sense I can easily be a consumer and not fall into the consumerism trap.
    Just because I buy a Computer doesn't mean I practice consumerism, just means I need a Computer. 
    It is not the same, one thing is consumerism, another is just going get stuff you need.
    I think.
      March 19, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

• It is unfortunate when what might be an interesting, productive discussion devolves into jabs and spats.  So I'll try to redirect this thread and answer the implied question.  I define "consumerism" as the production and distribution of goods and services.  By this we are all consumers.  My home has books, music, electronic appliances all which I did not produce.  Even the food I eat I do not produce but rely on others to provide as goods.  Consuming is unavoidable. 
      March 19, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

• It is unfortunate, you're right.
    Anyway.
    That's not what consumerism means. That's just making stuff and getting stuff, and drive stuff around in big trucks.
    If we were to define consumerism the way you do, then you're right, we are all comsumerists and not just consumers.
      March 19, 2017 11:29 AM MDT

• Differing definitions of key terms a is often the source of misunderstanding, even antagonism, in discussions.  Our discussion might be less fraught if I knew your definition of key words, "consumerism", "consumer" and "consumerist".
      March 19, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

• Ms Virginia posted a good definition.
    It is not MY definition, I didn't make it up.
      March 19, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

• Creates livelihoods.

Often at the exploitation of others.
      March 18, 2017 11:37 AM MDT

• Good points.
      March 18, 2017 11:47 AM MDT

• Hi Glis,
    Well of the different meanings of consumerism, I am guessing this may be the definintion close to your ponderings?
    "a social and economic order and ideology that encourages the acquisition of goods and services in ever-increasing amounts."

Con first: The "ever-increasing amounts"...it's a Ponzi-style setup, exponential in nature, which will eventually crash EVEN if the government authorizes it.

Pro: Maybe it's just that we humankind enjoy lots of stuff, and by overobsessing  eventually get the addiction out of our system, move on to more of our human potential and perceive the consumering as tools to an end not as gods in themselves.
      March 18, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

+  Necessary to our very existence.

-  Unbridled, it is unsustainable...to our economy, our environment, our well being.  
      March 18, 2017 12:43 PM MDT

• Is it though? Necessary?

Consumerism as a philosophy and economic model being a belief that purchasing in and of itself serves a societal purpose and function.   Buying things we want as opposed to what we need.
    Example.  As a farmer you need to buy a plow from a blacksmith.   As a consumer you want to buy new music CD. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 19, 2017 10:14 AM MDT
      March 18, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

There are several different definitions of consumerism, from advocacy for consumer rights and safety to excessive consumption.  At its most basic level are what marketers call "routine purchases", and those are often the necessities required for existence.  

March 18, 2017 1:54 PM MDT