Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » I've heard about Smart Drugs that supposedly GREATLY increase brain capacity. True/False?

I've heard about Smart Drugs that supposedly GREATLY increase brain capacity. True/False?

Is it safe? Sounds kinda scary. The movie "Charley" was about that very thing. That movie has stayed with me for many decades. It was based on a scifi short story titled "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. Unless you already are taking them, would you be willing to try it and see what happens? I expect it is very expensive. Anyone know?

Posted - March 18, 2017

Responses

You can go first, then let me know how it turns out. lol
      March 18, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

• Dear RosieG,
    I absolutely loved that movie, saw it when it came out 1968...just haunting. It was the movie I first saw the talent of Cliff Robertson.

No, I probably would not try the enhancing drugs. I was in SF in the Hippie era, and came away with a wish just to experience life on my own terms, in my own timing, rather than drug-induced-forced.
      March 18, 2017 11:26 AM MDT

• They are called nootropics.   It's a newer concept of drugs and vaguely defined criteria.

Chances are you have tried and used them without realizing it.  Basically anything can be considered a nootropic from coffee and ginkgo to fenibute, SSRI's and amphetamines.
      March 18, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

OK, OK. I have some of those pills right here ------------ let me try a few here. GULP!  Ewwww, they taste awful. Let's wait and see what happens. Uh, I feel a little straje, I con't thik right #@%^&*+*&^%$#@!  Whew! I feel better now. I was really out of it there for a while. Now, what were we talking about? Oh yeah------------ what a genius Donald Trump must be to have achieved a billion dollars of wealth. 
      March 18, 2017 11:45 AM MDT

Oh darn! That last part made you dumb or is that how you are usually?
      March 18, 2017 11:46 AM MDT

When it comes to math --------- I am a loser. Politics? it's a throw of the dice.
      March 18, 2017 11:51 AM MDT

• I enjoyed your creative, softly teasing post very much, bhwilson!
      March 18, 2017 12:22 PM MDT

never heard of them, let me know where you get them, i could use them for school
      March 18, 2017 5:40 PM MDT