Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Can people who have had short fuses from the moment of their birth on learn better coping skills or will they always be explosive?

Can people who have had short fuses from the moment of their birth on learn better coping skills or will they always be explosive?

In cases where genetics and/or hormone imbalances are at play, not when displays of rage are a learned behavior.

Posted - March 18, 2017

Responses

Meds and therapy
      March 18, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

• I think any behavior can be changed... it's just the desire for change and the technique used where the issues lie
      March 18, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

• Hi JA,
    I found an interesting commentary online...
    "Research ... with exceptionally violent hunter-gatherers found that men who committed acts of homicide had more children, as they were more likely to survive and sire more offspring. Thus, we may all be here today because of violence in our ancestral past."

http://theconversation.com/temper-trap-the-genetics-of-aggression-and-self-control-26110

My take is that we all have anger to some extent; so when we are ready, we just start from where we are and work with what we've got...we humankind are more than our gene pool, and we can choose not to be pushed around by ancestral genetics.

Hypothetically, perhaps the person genetically most disposed to anger could end up the calmest, because he/she would work on it more deeply.
      March 18, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

• On a more controversial note  ... i read research into new Yorks crime rather drop and their zero tolerance approach ... seems it may not have been the cause at all .. one researcher looked back 15 odd years and found that's when  abortions became legalised or more freely ... the thought being that it was less people being born into bad circumstances that he up to become criminals
      March 18, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

• Ozgirl, I think that is a very good point...is the research really conclusive? Or is the "genetic predisposition" actually some other hidden third cause... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 18, 2017 5:28 PM MDT
      March 18, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

hopefully they can learn better coping skills, i think some of them might need meds
      March 18, 2017 4:57 PM MDT

a Lobotomy? HaHa
    .....Used to Be a Psych Tech
    at a State Hospital for the
    Mentally Touched, while in college.
    ...The Electro Shock
    was treatment of Choice.
    For these  explosive characters
    that would be admitted at night
    ...first was a kick in the stomach
    then a big shot of Thorazine
    as they bent over in their read end.
    then the Electro Shock next day.
    .....Gruesome
    Had to quit that job
    drop out of school
    and go to India, it affected me so...
         oops
    probably off topic
    the question brought up memory
      March 18, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

Come on, JA.  You are better than this.  WHAT people?  Some?  Sure.  Everyone?  Hardly.  We have short fuses from crack heads, crack babies,  all kinds of mental anomalies, learned behavior, etc.  Of course the end result of dysfunction is to be expected, but hardly can any determination be made as to how many succeed versus how many do not since there are so many avenues of possibility.

It does not bode well for those who have an habitual short fuse, but that is mostly because they are not conscious and aware enough to even realize there is more to life than this behavior.  They have no idea that there are tools that can aid many of these unfortunates.  Even anger management classes awaken many.  Meds definitely have their place, and punishment is it's own reward in this case.  If I were a continual jerk, blowing up at everyone who made me mad,   I need to be put down or put away until my change of attitude kicks in.   Some are sick and cannot be mended.  Some are sick and can.  And some are just ignorant and spoiled and need to be corrected lest they wreak more havoc on themselves and everyone else.
      March 18, 2017 5:14 PM MDT

Temperaments can be changed---unless they are based more on an underlying pathology.
      March 18, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

And of course, there is this:  http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/killers-born-murder-gene-scientists-4528684
      March 18, 2017 5:18 PM MDT

• I used to completely lose my shizit over the smallest thing and have an aweful temper.... I've calmed down allot over the past 2 years. Being presciped  a little pill to stick  under my tongue helps:).... But also I think I've learned to let some stuff go. Or it's the pills. :) or both.

March 18, 2017 6:03 PM MDT