Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Outside the Mug, Question 1:

Outside the Mug, Question 1:

If a mug is so full of coffee that it has a convex meniscus, is that meniscus said to be inside the mug or outside the mug?

If somebody is carrying such a mug and spills it, whose task is it to clean up the mess?

Posted - March 18, 2017

Responses

https://youtu.be/8M6ZsxKIm9M
    CONGRATS Didge on your first outside the mug question;))
    The one carrying it...of course! This post was edited by Veena.K at March 18, 2017 10:08 PM MDT
      March 18, 2017 9:32 PM MDT

• One of my sons, when he was a kid, had filled a cup just that full. He was creeping back to the lunch table trying hard not to spill any so I yelled, "DON'T DROP THAT!"

His mother made ME clean up the mess.
      March 18, 2017 9:38 PM MDT

• Your wife is wise!  Did you learn a lesson?

The book arrived today.
      March 18, 2017 9:52 PM MDT

• I think all that comes down to your children growing up with a great sense of humour inherited from parents, along with learning how not to take themselves all that seriously...
      March 18, 2017 10:10 PM MDT

OUCH!!
      March 19, 2017 11:59 PM MDT

• I think we have a problem... coffee has a convex meniscus .. it stands higher than the edge so will be outside the mug ... i think only mercury had a concave meniscus... but then I'd be wondering what you are doing with a cup of mercury... surely an OH&S issue
      March 18, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

• Aw. I'm sure I've seen coffee cups filled that high. See my comment below Veena's answer. 
      March 18, 2017 9:39 PM MDT

• I agree with you... my picky pedantic point i was being silly about was of the meniscus  was above the rim... the center  of the surface will also be above the rim hence can't be inside the cup... where as mercury may be possible if i remember  correctly ... and of course to me the real question is unanswerable and is this... if you had not said anything would the son have made it?... this is fast more interesting but now last in the mists of time...
      March 18, 2017 9:52 PM MDT

• Oh, yeah. He was going really well. He only had a couple of feet left.
      March 18, 2017 9:58 PM MDT

• My primary concern is that if coffee doe's cause a convex meniscus effect, hence stands higher the the vessel, then would it be fair to say that given we have a soficus, the coffee isn't able to sit higher than the vessel (the stomach), so therefore it has on place to go but out, consequently making us look fat. Hmmm this concerns me greatly, I think I'm going to target drinks that have the concave meniscus effect.

Did I hear someone call me blondie 
      March 18, 2017 10:08 PM MDT

• Well blondie or not Austrans I just enjoyed thoroughly your great post!
      March 18, 2017 10:12 PM MDT

• Why thank you VirginiaL, I'm currently showing my partner your kind words, according to her I speak so much verbal diarrhoea I don't have a chance in hell of putting on weight. ;-) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 20, 2017 12:21 AM MDT
      March 18, 2017 10:23 PM MDT

• My soficus has just had it's daily workout. We had a late lunch.
      March 18, 2017 10:20 PM MDT

• That's good, I hope it was Italian as it's an accepted practice over there. I have my own way to express my appreciation for a good meal, but it seems to go down like lead balloon here. 
      March 18, 2017 10:31 PM MDT

• Lol... all too  funny :)
      March 18, 2017 10:42 PM MDT

• And you will never look fat :)
      March 18, 2017 10:43 PM MDT

• Ta for the kind words Oz, I've decided to ease up on the coffee anyway, but continue with the copious amounts of (concave meniscus) red & verbal diarrhoea, despite what the meanie says. 
      March 19, 2017 1:19 AM MDT

• As long as it's verbal you're kool:)
      March 19, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

• I guess it would give a new meaning to the expression... giving someone a spray... hahahahah 
      March 19, 2017 5:01 AM MDT

• Austrians... Up until then... I really like you!
    But that is just an image that's going to stick lol
    I'm speechless... Holding your breath so to speak
    Ps ... Thanks for being public spirited!... A mutual friend dobbed you in :)
      March 19, 2017 5:20 AM MDT

• RALMAO ... thank you so much ... a good belly laugh never goes astray ... judging by your response my work here is done.
    Would it be fair to say you no longer consider me kool?
    btw, if it's the same mutual friend I think it is, they really should consider the fact that they have to go to sleep at some point .... mWhahaha 
      March 19, 2017 11:51 PM MDT

• Lol... and yes re you know who... and i couldn't agree more... can i lend you a rather large mallet?
    :)
      March 20, 2017 2:28 AM MDT

• ... and you'll always be kool!
      March 20, 2017 2:29 AM MDT

• Please don't go down the large mallet path, quoting Ita Buttrose, "she's already Mighty Thor"... lets just leave sleeping dogs lie. 
      March 20, 2017 3:49 AM MDT