Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Today is Scottish Day. Let's celebrate by naming famous Scottish people.

Today is Scottish Day. Let's celebrate by naming famous Scottish people.

Okay, it isn't Scottish day. But if Ireland can have their very own day once a year, why can't Scotland? Unless, for some bizarre reason, you think Ireland is BETTER than Scotland? HA! Stop being silly. Please name a famous Scottish person. 

Posted - March 19, 2017

Responses

Gordon Ramsay. 

March 19, 2017 8:45 PM MDT

Scotty the Scotsman from "Star Trek".
    "She's giving you all she's got Captain! She can't take much more of this!" This post was edited by O-uknow at March 19, 2017 9:45 PM MDT
      March 19, 2017 9:09 PM MDT

• James Bond.
      March 19, 2017 9:23 PM MDT

Born in Scotland, Andrew Carnegie took hundreds of millions of his own dollars and bought America over a thousand public libraries. He was a steel tycoon who also made rails for railroads. I have seen the name 'Carnegie Steel' on the rails.  Of course, he was hated and called a 'robber baron' in his day, just like Trump is today. 
      March 19, 2017 9:29 PM MDT

Born in Scotland, Andrew Carnegie took hundreds of millions of his own dollars and bought America over a thousand public libraries. He was a steel tycoon who also made rails for railroads. I have seen the name 'Carnegie Steel' on the rails.  Of course, he was hated and called a 'robber baron' in his day, just like Trump is today. 

•  Lieutenant Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise NCC 1701.  His actual STOS last name was Jorgensen, but always referred to as "Scotty".
      March 19, 2017 9:42 PM MDT

• So this is why I saw that guy in the pub today wearing a kilt.  Strangely the kilt was made of Saran Wrap.  So I toasted him and said, "I can clearly see you're nuts."
      March 19, 2017 9:53 PM MDT

Why I keep to woollen kilts...
      March 20, 2017 5:56 AM MDT

• A traditionalist! Good.  Do you know why it is called a "kilt"?
      March 20, 2017 7:46 AM MDT

Hi Righty, the first person who came to my mind was Mary,Queen of Scots, since I studied English Literature I was fascinated by her heroics-Mary, queen of Scots was one of the most fascinating and controversial monarchs of 16th century Europe. At one time, she claimed the crowns of four nations – Scotland, France, England and Ireland. Her physical beauty and kind heart were acknowledged even by her enemies. Yet she lacked the political skills to rule successfully in Scotland. Her second marriage was unpopular and ended in murder and scandal; her third was even less popular and ended in forced abdication in favor of her infant son. She fled to England in 1568, hoping for the help of her cousin, Elizabeth I. Her presence was dangerous for the English queen, who feared Catholic plotting on Mary’s behalf. The two queens never met and Mary remained imprisoned for the next nineteen years. She was executed in 1587, only forty-four years old. By orders of the English government, all of her possessions were burned. In 1603, upon Elizabeth’s death, Mary’s son became king of England as James I.
      March 19, 2017 11:56 PM MDT

Awesome answe, V! Thank you! 
      March 20, 2017 1:53 AM MDT

• Was there a second person?
      March 20, 2017 2:42 AM MDT

• I've got a few:
    Robert Burns, Arthur Conan Doyle, J K Rowling, Muriel Spark, Irvine Welsh, John Logie Baird, Alexander Graham Bell, John Napier, James Watt, James McAvoy and last but not least 'Wee' Gordan Strachan, the manager of the Scottish National Football Team.
      March 20, 2017 2:12 AM MDT

• Hmm, I'm pretty sure Alexander Graham Bell is American.  I mean, he must be.
      March 20, 2017 10:22 AM MDT

the average white band ~ cut the cake
      March 20, 2017 2:46 AM MDT

• One who stands out to me is Dr James Braid who developed modern hypnotism from Anton Mesmer's "animal magnetism". He laid the groundwork from which present techniques have evolved.

There's a guy named Andy Murray (well, Sir Andy since January 1) who hits a ball around a tennis court pretty well.

Sir Walter Scott wrote some of the most imaginative stories and poetry in British literature. His Lay of the Last Minstrel is a magnificent work that should be on everybody's reading list.

There was a guy named David Livingstone who used to trek around Africa healing sick people.

And never forgetting my good friend John Maguire who has a vivid imagination and knack for getting the very best out of life. You've never heard of him; I'll never forget him.

March 20, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

I thought it was International Happiness Day. Maybe it's the same thing. 

Btw, we've got Burns Night, St Andrew's day and Hogmanay...
    This post was edited by Malizz at March 20, 2017 5:55 AM MDT
      March 20, 2017 5:53 AM MDT