Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » What specific difference do you see in your previous Q&A site and Answer Mug?

What specific difference do you see in your previous Q&A site and Answer Mug?

To me, coming from Answer Bag, the main difference that I saw on Answer Mug was how members here display their sexual orientation without any inhibition, what difference do you see here in comparison to your previous Q&A site?

Posted - March 20, 2017

Responses

• I was on ask.com from 2011 till it closed in 2015. There was a great deal of religious angst. The site was heavily loaded by born-agains and Jay Dubs all doing their best to save us sinners. They were met head-on by the sinners who didn't want to be saved. Some of the discussions were rational, some were inane. Some were friendly, some were heated.

The other big difference was the teen component of Ask with their quiver full of homework and self-doubt. Does s/he like me? What does it mean if s/he looks at me? Could I be pregnant? (This last one was mostly from females.)

Blurt-it, where I spent the next 18 months, had the same type of people and, to a point, the same type of question. But the site ran smoothly under the gentle touch of our three mods. (Two of them are now with us on aM.) It was a pleasure to be there until the owner had a brain fart. I doubt if anybody can tell you what happened; I doubt if he knows himself.

The big difference between those two and aM is the level of political hatred we have here. Sure, there were political questions on the other sites, but they weren't spammed continually as aM is and the hate level would probably not have been permitted. A number of people came from the ailing Blurtit, ran into the Trump hate, and left again. (This is the second time I've been a member. I joined last October, stayed for a couple of weeks, and couldn't take it any more. I was persuaded to come back in January and have learned to steer around the rubbish.)

I enjoy aM very much. It feels like my Internet home.
      March 20, 2017 12:22 AM MDT

Thanks Didge for a lengthy and informative answer. On AB too there were wars between theists and atheists. Also the am I pregnant questions. We had trolls there and those were MEAN....really MEAN we needed Community Leaders ( moderators) who had to intervene and remove those devils. Yes, political rant is obvious and we know there's nothing much we can do, smile and bear;)) 
    AM is good and JA runs it quite efficeintly. 
      March 20, 2017 11:40 PM MDT

• Agree completely. I like aM and JA in equal proportions. :)
      March 20, 2017 11:45 PM MDT

Ha ha wish JA see this;))
      March 21, 2017 4:19 PM MDT

• Hi Veena.K,
    I started Ask late 2010, also stayed until it closed down 2015. I think Ask was trying to be a resource for information, rather than companionship, and there was always tension over that, reflected in moderating standards. I actually loved the information part and the homework questions, as I enjoy learning.

At Didge's suggestion I went to Blurtit, which was more companionable, although there was the homework I love also...Blurt was much smaller than Ask, however, so questions not as diverse but very friendly. I liked Blurt and left only because of the trolling, after moderation policies changed.

aMug was the most difficult for me to maneuver, but now that I am further on the learning curve aMug actually seems to have more features, even though a bit ponderous. I did message with a friend from Blurt yesterday, and she tried aMug but was not able to maneuver successfully, so went to a different site. 
      March 20, 2017 12:48 AM MDT

Hi Virginia, thank you for a lengthy and informative answer. Homework questions that made me giggle;)) I never try to tax a brain, my questions are usually probing human psyche! Tense atmosphere at Ask, that must have been taxing.All of you from Blurtit here on AM are making the environment really lively. Yes, learning features on AM takes time....I can't post videos or gifs...just pics..;))
      March 20, 2017 11:46 PM MDT

• Hi Veena.K, well I have learned to post videos, thanks to Rooster's patience but I still have not learned the mystery of the gif...oh, well...the world keeps turning, I guess...
      March 20, 2017 11:56 PM MDT

• To the best of my knowledge ... which translates into i might be wrong ... you can't post local ie on your computer... video... you may post a link to a video on the net by copying its address  ie URL... into the apprpriate field ... hope this helps
      March 21, 2017 12:35 AM MDT

I tried everything my friend Righty here taught me but to no avail;))
      March 21, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

• Maybe i could teach you some things you don't know :)
      March 21, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

Well, its still not as social or as good as what Sodahead was... and the questions aren't as fun but it's definitely one of the better Q&A sites i've come across since Sodahead closed in 2015. I miss SH and it was quite unique and different from all other Q&A sites. it had an amazing layout, awesome features, easy to socialize, and was able leave nice messages and pics on profile walls.. (there is a social aspect similarly on AM but its hidden away and buried) and the layout and features are lacking big time compared to SH... the only site that comes close to SH is a site called Amirite.com (its more like sodahead's ugly fraternal twin- thats where a lot of the former members went) This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at March 28, 2017 7:41 PM MDT
      March 20, 2017 1:32 AM MDT

I miss some of our friends we had on SH. But it was really going down the tubes before they kicked us all out.
    I never found another site I wanted to join after that till this one.
      March 20, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

I agree with what you said... SH should have gave us a month's notice (that would have been the only moral thing to do) so people could save messages, exchanged emails, save their profile stuff etc.. but overall, AM is the next best thing.. and i think we should be happy that we have it :)     
      March 20, 2017 8:04 PM MDT

I am very happy to be here and that some of us have found each other on here.
      March 21, 2017 10:26 AM MDT

• That certainly says something good for aMug, Lulu's Mom...I am glad to know that!
      March 20, 2017 9:20 PM MDT

• V, check my blog when you have time.
      March 20, 2017 9:24 PM MDT

• I am brewing some double bergamot Earl Grey tea and then on my way there, Dozy!
      March 20, 2017 9:40 PM MDT

And all the time I thought Didge was referring to me as V.....;))
      March 21, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

• Dear Veena, I am delighted to share the letter "V" with you!
      March 23, 2017 2:50 PM MDT

I did Didge, such a sad day my friend, Zoe is surely going to be missed dearly by you and Mrs.Didge.
      March 20, 2017 11:34 PM MDT

There was one member by name Sodahead at AB....I didn't know sodahead was a website Skunky. You make it look so beautiful that site might have been really good;)) I don't know Amerite too...have i missed all the good things;((
      March 20, 2017 11:49 PM MDT

Compared to EP, less:
    - trolls
    - spam (depending on how you define it)
    - members
    - teens
    - questions
    - stories/blog entries
    - group activities (this is connected to stories)
    - sexual harassment
    - hate
    - drama

More:
    - care for users by management
    - friendly environment
    - safety for users

I prefer it here. Did I not, I would be at the replacement/clone of EP. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 23, 2017 2:10 PM MDT
      March 20, 2017 2:49 AM MDT

Oh so crisp and amazingly stated, thanks SapphicHeart;))
      March 20, 2017 11:50 PM MDT

You're welcome. Probably missed a few points extra. Hmm.
      March 20, 2017 11:54 PM MDT