Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » I think science is fascinating, especially Quantum Physics. But science seems to be gender-driven. More men than women seek it out. Why?

I think science is fascinating, especially Quantum Physics. But science seems to be gender-driven. More men than women seek it out. Why?

Posted - March 20, 2017

Responses

• Because women have not been encouraged to go into those fields. With Trump signing the STEM bill, that will change. 
      March 20, 2017 4:30 AM MDT

It needn't be one's vocation Karen. It should be due to an inquiring mind and an excitement at delving into such things on one's own. I shall never be a scientist. But for many decades I have read about and follow what is going on in the world of Quantum Physics. It has nothing to do with a bill being signed. It has to do with my innate curiosity. Why aren't more women curious enough to read up on their own?  Why aren't more women knowledgeable about the subject? Why do they rarely if ever answer any of the questions I ask that are science-based? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday. This post was edited by RosieG at March 20, 2017 4:49 AM MDT
      March 20, 2017 4:44 AM MDT

• I'm interested in astrophysics myself. I read everything I can find on the subject, but I'll never learn enough doing it a little here and there. I can't speak for other women though, we are all individuals and have our own interests.  
      March 20, 2017 4:56 AM MDT

I went into a field once Mom and got chased by a Bull....... Now ,no amount of encourage from Bill would could ever stimulate me enough to venture such a testosterone filled environment........plus I stepped  really yucky and it really ruined my sinew shoes....      Hehe.....:(p
      March 20, 2017 4:55 AM MDT

• My poor Chick-A-Dee. Let mom buy you a sinew pair. I'll make that mean bull cow-down or I show him a real bully. :)
      March 20, 2017 4:59 AM MDT

I new ewe'd elp mom......;)p
      March 20, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

Some of it is gender related and some is environment. 
    Traditionally girls are not as interested in these subjects. Some say it is because they are not encouraged to engage in science and math or expected to understand it.  (So they say....I never seen that myself)
    Personally I was expected to learn the same thing every one else in the class was. My parents expected me to learn as much as my brother. And I expect the same of my children regardless of their gender.
    My sons are definitely more into science than my daughter. Why I don't know just how it worked out.

Many things are different by gender. My kids all played ball. And I remember my daughter's team at the last practice before the first game, the girls all huddled together not to give last minute encouragement but to discuss what color shorts/socks they would wear so they all matched. My sister in law was there and like "Are you serious.... You can tell they are girls." Lol

March 20, 2017 4:57 AM MDT

I really don't know. I've always been into math and science, but no one has encouraged me to look into those things. It's just something I naturally gravitated to. I've always been a bit of a tomboy, but I don't really know if that has anything to do with it. Everyone's different I suppose.
      March 20, 2017 5:37 AM MDT

All of the above.
      March 20, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

not sure why, maybe guys are better at it
      March 20, 2017 9:52 AM MDT