Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How can you know for sure what people's motives are? They could tell you the truth or lie. Do you always know what YOUR motives are?

How can you know for sure what people's motives are? They could tell you the truth or lie. Do you always know what YOUR motives are?

Posted - March 20, 2017

Responses

• It all comes down to trust. You can never know 100% what a person's motives are but if you trust that person, you can make a safe bet that you know what their motives are. I always know why I do what I do. I may not always let on to other people that I know, but I know. 
      March 20, 2017 1:06 PM MDT

What if you are kidding yourself Corey? What if deep down your real motives are not what you think they are? How can you so certain m'dear? I know I"m not certain about anything. I always THINK I know why I do/say things but how can I KNOW FOR SURE that is what's really going on? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      March 21, 2017 4:05 AM MDT

I keep myself safe by suspecting everybody of having ulterior motives. Not WingedWonder though.
      March 20, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

Do you have ulterior motives Zack or are you exempt from that? I ALWAYS THINK I KNOW why I do/say what I do/say but how can I honestly know FOR CERTAIN what lies deep within me? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      March 21, 2017 4:07 AM MDT

• No.
      March 20, 2017 1:23 PM MDT

Me too I ALWAYS THINK I know Lago. But how can I know what lies within me deep inside? I can't and I can't pretend I do. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      March 21, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

• If we knew, it would make things a lot easier, we'd know why we get sad or eat too much or want what we want, or need what we need, or talk the way we do. Counselors and therapists would by out of business. 

March 21, 2017 11:22 AM MDT

There you have it Rosie, but you do know what God has told us. Only he knows what is in a man's heart. Let us not be so quick to judge. While you are asking, how does the judge in Hawaii who halted Trump's travel ban know what's in Trump's heart for him to say its anti-Muslim? This post was edited by O-uknow at March 20, 2017 1:29 PM MDT
      March 20, 2017 1:26 PM MDT

It was pretty obvious what was in Trump's heart cos he said so often enough.
      March 20, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

• He has never once said he is anti-Muslim, he has said he's anti-terrorist, there is a difference. He didn't put a travel ban on all Muslim countries, only the ones that have a high reputation for producing terrorists. 
      March 21, 2017 4:14 AM MDT

People change so it might not be so obvious now. In any case did his words then tell you his motives? Perhaps his only motive was to win? This post was edited by O-uknow at March 21, 2017 6:20 AM MDT
      March 21, 2017 6:17 AM MDT

"

Do you always know what YOUR motives are?" Yes

March 20, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Addb. I don't. I know what I THINK my motives are. But what they really are? That I can never know because it might reside somewhere inside so deep within that I will never find them. We generally see ourselves in the best light with motives that are noble and above-board. We give ourselves a break. Maybe that's not what is really driving us to do/say what we do/say. Maybe we'll never know. Or rather maybe I will never know since you say you do.  Do I always do/say things with good intentions? Of course I will say yes. But maybe I don't. How can I KNOW for sure? I can't.  So you and I are different in that regard.  :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 21, 2017 4:03 AM MDT
      March 21, 2017 4:02 AM MDT

• If you know the person well enough, you can know what their motives are. I do know myself well enough to know what my motives are in any given situation.
      March 21, 2017 4:15 AM MDT

i dont think you can ever know for sure
      March 21, 2017 5:52 PM MDT