Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » As we age should we care less about things or more?

As we age should we care less about things or more?

You might think the young should care more since they will be effected by everything the most but in reality it often is the old that care most but will be effected the least.

Posted - March 20, 2017

Responses

As we age, we see things change including ourselves. The older we get, the more clearly we are supposed to see life. Opening one's eyes we are made privy to the things that truly don't matter. To me, it's the materialistic aspect of life that no longer matters to me or people's opinion of me and my lifestyle. However, we should always care more for all life.
      March 20, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

The old will be affected first.  The young will ultimately feel greater effects.
      March 20, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

They say it is the very young and the very old that are effected first. Still it must be the young who are effected the longest. My life has not been the same since we were taken off the gold standard ;) This post was edited by O-uknow at March 21, 2017 12:25 AM MDT
      March 20, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

Really?  Do tell, how did that affect your life?
      March 20, 2017 8:52 PM MDT

• Depends on what is being considered.  I find it odd when adults are very concerned with TV programs or sports.  It is unfortunate when a young person does not put enough care to future finances or employment.  This I have bitterly learned by experience. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 21, 2017 9:45 AM MDT
      March 20, 2017 3:16 PM MDT

The young may not care about anything in general and most of what they do care about doesn't seem long lasting. the old care a little too much and are bothered by so much when they should be appreciative to still be around to experience any of it and mellow out a bit. This post was edited by O-uknow at March 20, 2017 3:51 PM MDT
      March 20, 2017 3:49 PM MDT

• When you say "should" it implies some kind of obligation that I find hard to grasp.

My experience, having been both old and young, is that the years bring changes in attitude: some for the better, some not so much. Some of the things I valued in my twenties and thirties seem not so important any more. My focus, not my capacity for "caring", has shifted.

I know one geezer (he's nearly as old as me) whose stated attitude is, "I'll be dead in a few years. Why should I care what happens after I've gone?" He won't be the only person with that attitude, of course, but he's the only one who has expressed it to me. I think we have an obligation to the future, ,whether our contribution to that future is great or small. For most of us it will be infinitesimal, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
      March 20, 2017 4:48 PM MDT

Wisdom, humility and caring.
      March 20, 2017 4:59 PM MDT

• To add to Didge's comment: our priorities change as our needs and views evolve. We place more or less importance on different things as we learn more about the world, and how they affect us. 
    We see the young so attentive to things like appearance, clothing labels and popularity. These things become less important than -say- health, nest egg, or childrens welfare as years mount.  

March 20, 2017 5:03 PM MDT

• Zee, are you in contact with DarkMajinn?
    Is he content on Blurt, or wherever now?
    I have been thinking about him, missing him, and wishing he might put in appearances here... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 21, 2017 12:29 AM MDT
      March 21, 2017 12:27 AM MDT

• He appears there from time to time. Not as active as we've known him to be in the past. I will make an effort to touch base with him. 
      March 21, 2017 4:31 AM MDT

• One would eliminate the problem by starting out not caring.
      March 21, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

at no age, we need to care about whats going on
      March 21, 2017 5:47 PM MDT