Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever attended a funeral out of familial or social obligation rather than a true feeling of loss?

Have you ever attended a funeral out of familial or social obligation rather than a true feeling of loss?

Posted - March 20, 2017

Responses

All that I have been to.
      March 20, 2017 3:55 PM MDT

• Of course.

The historical authority on funeral attendance was Yogi Berra who said, "You should always attend other people's funerals or they won't come to yours." 
      March 20, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

• He had that dead on.
      March 20, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

I've been to two funerals in my life. One for my grandfather and the other for my grandmother.  Since then, my aunt has died and so has my uncle. I did not attend their funerals. You would never understand the reasoning.
      March 20, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

No.
      March 20, 2017 4:55 PM MDT

I've never been to a funeral. I'm the type to hide and avoid people when I'm grieving. It's not that I don't care about the person who died, I'd just rather be alone to grieve for them.
      March 20, 2017 6:34 PM MDT

• No .... I have not. One thing I like about my social circle and family is we don't really do "funerals" we do celebrations of life ..... And is always an open bar , a party, and good stories about the one we lost . Maybe a Canadian thing .... Not sure. But I wouldn't go if I didn't care or just cos I felt obligated. 
      March 20, 2017 6:44 PM MDT

Of course.  A dozen or so.   Over the years ive been to funerals for people at church, my sisters mother in law, my boss's daughter and then her father and then her mother.  A co-workers father.  And so on.  Social obligation.   You show support for people/families you care about even if you dont know the dead well.    Or, in the case of the boss, you just dont want her to be angry.   
      March 21, 2017 4:42 AM MDT

I have attended funerals or gone to showings out of love, like or respect for someone who loved the person who died.  Funerals are for the living.
      March 21, 2017 4:49 AM MDT

Yes. If someone I am close to loses a family member, I will attend the service.  
      March 21, 2017 5:21 AM MDT

no, i wont go to funerals unless its an immediate family member
      March 21, 2017 4:59 PM MDT