Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Hi friends I've no pet, I read Didge's blog right now announcing the death of their pet Zoe, how do pet owners recover after their pet dies?

Hi friends I've no pet, I read Didge's blog right now announcing the death of their pet Zoe, how do pet owners recover after their pet dies?

Posted - March 20, 2017

Responses

Personally, the death of a beloved pet is no different than the death of a person I love.  They live on in my memories and in my heart, and thinking of them being gone can bring tears to my eyes many years later...but I am grateful they were a part of my life. 
      March 20, 2017 11:37 PM MDT

• Sorry about Zoe Didge... like you I've buried more for legged friends than i care to remember ... to abet the question you move on.

You don't forget but you move on because the alternative is no good!
    Hard but necessary.
    Oh, and you cry a lot .. and I'm not ashamed to say that!
      March 21, 2017 2:26 AM MDT

It's one of the worst feelings. I even lose it over the death of a rat, rats have always been my little buddies.
      March 21, 2017 5:39 AM MDT

When you live with someone, whether it's your spouse, parent, child,..., or pet, it is traumatic to lose them.  Your normal daily routine is changed forever.  Each pet has it's own personality, just like people.  For me, I have loved them just as strongly as the people in my life so the loss is just as devastating.  As with losing the people you love dearly, you never get over the loss.  You just learn to live with it.
      March 21, 2017 7:29 AM MDT

• I had to put my Basset Hound to sleep a couple of months ago and it's never easy. You can go out and get another dog to help the pain and channel your love or you can be like me and just remember the good times you had with your pet and I had many with mine. His pictures are on here in the photo section. Like Harry said, you just learn to live with it. Time tells the tale.
      March 21, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

• I miss him too.
      March 21, 2017 8:12 AM MDT

• It's a family member you're losing when a pet dies. There's a great emptiness that doesn't seem to end. Time is really the only thing that can heal that emptiness. A new dog or pet should actually come in after the healing has started....you need time to grieve for your friend. then start a new pet relationship that will bring more joy and love into your life...when you're ready to accept it!
      March 21, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

After the last one, it took me almost two years to adopt another one.  The thought of losing another dog was too upsetting and heartbreaking for me.  When I explained that to someone who was questioning why I didn't foster or adopt another dog, she said, "It's not about you.  It's about saving the life of a dog in need and giving them the benefit of finally having a great home."  That's when I realized it was time to open my heart again.
      March 21, 2017 11:04 AM MDT

When my cat of 17 years passed on
    I cried and cried and have missed her everyday since.
    That will never go away...
    She was part of my heart.
    I swore I would never get another pet, because
    i couldn't handle when they leave.
         A few years later
    a beautiful cat showed up at my garden door
    she moved in like she had been here forever...
    She rules this house, haha and Life goes on.
      March 21, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

i dont have a pet but i would think they would have a hard time with it
      March 21, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

• I tell myself that they are going to heaven and that I will see them again soon.
      March 22, 2017 10:15 AM MDT