Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you ever started reading a book that was written so bad that you stopped reading it before you finished it?

Have you ever started reading a book that was written so bad that you stopped reading it before you finished it?

There are two for me, Wicked and 50 Shades of Gray. Both were horrible. 

Image result for bad book names

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

There was a book by one of my favorite authors that I just could not get past the third page of...despite others telling me what a good book it was.  I tried several times and just coudn't do it.
      March 21, 2017 5:23 AM MDT

• I had one like that from Stephen King. It was Tommyknockers. It was te dullest book he ever put out. I did manage to finish it though. 
      March 21, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

• Be careful...die-hard King lovers get a little "funny" about that kind of criticism. lol

I didn't care for it either.  I also didn't like "The Running Man"  and I thought "The Stand" was too long and overly pretentious.
    now...I'm going to go hide 
      March 21, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

• I am a die hard Stephen King fan. Been reading his works since 1975. I just bought a new one this morning, it's The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. It's a book of short stories. I truly do love his short stories. The Mist was one of my favorite. 
      March 21, 2017 7:47 AM MDT

• I've been a fan of King myself. i like a lot of his work. I agree. His short stories are excellent.  I really enjoyed Nightshift immensely and concur  about the Mist.  I want to add that the movie actually was better than the story and King also agreed with that. It's quite rare that a King story interprets better to film 
      March 21, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

• He said he was very happy with it. He let the director do the ending and said that's how he would have done it if he had thought of it. :)
      March 23, 2017 2:22 AM MDT

The Stand was great.  Go away with your baaaahd self, goat.  Shoo shoo. Aww shoop.  I just stepped in goat poop.  

Actually there are a number of his books I was disappointed in when he just started churning them out after hitting the big time.  Still a fan though (FYI to Karen). ;-)
      March 21, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

I agree about The Stand, Harry. Read that over a few days---couldn't easily put it down.

I started with Salem's Lot---had a hard time sleeping for about 3 weeks.  That kid with the red eyes hanging on the screen became an everlasting image in my mind.

Tried to read a few others, but he was just too successful in planting unsettling images in my mind.  Unfortunately, I finally had to give up on his books---I really needed more sleep.
      March 21, 2017 9:47 AM MDT

• I've read both versions of The Stand. 
      March 21, 2017 10:02 AM MDT

• See? That's why I'm hiding! I'm in the minority I think...

I'm a big Clive Barker fan myself and think he is a better horror author when it comes to generating graphic imagery 

March 21, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

• I do like him too. 
      March 22, 2017 3:32 AM MDT

• If it's possible, I consider Clive King's evil, brit twin.  There is something awesome about his prose and the atmosphere he generates.  It's so dark, dank, and bleak 
      March 22, 2017 6:56 AM MDT

I love King, too.  This was a Dean Koontz novel.  (I swear they were twins, separated at birth and raised on opposite coasts!)  It is called Dragon Tears, IIRC.  
      March 21, 2017 11:28 AM MDT

• I think I read that one. King wrote one called The Eyes of the Dragon. That was a pretty decent one. He wrote it for his daughter because she told him she didn't like all his boogie men. 
      March 23, 2017 2:20 AM MDT

I haven't read that one...or at least I don't recall doing so.
      March 23, 2017 12:21 PM MDT

No, but I remember The Notebook was so boring I stopped reading it, but I had to read it for a book report so I just skimmed the rest.
    I have also read some weird fan-fiction someone told me about that was so bad that I couldn't stop reading it, it was just so hilariously bad.
      March 21, 2017 5:30 AM MDT

• When they are like that, hilariously bad, I can read them. :) I never read The Notebook, nor have I seen the movie. 
      March 21, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

Can read them or can't read them?
    ~
      March 21, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

• Can read. Sometimes they are just so stinking bad that they're good :) Kinda like you. Brahahahahahaa....
      March 21, 2017 10:03 AM MDT

• Lots of time ... life is too short to persist in bad writing
      March 21, 2017 5:58 AM MDT

• I agree 100%
      March 21, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

Yes.  It doesn't happen often but when it does, sheesh, it's ruined my mood for the day! Couldn't tell you the names.  They must have been so bad that I blocked them from my mind.  
      March 21, 2017 6:12 AM MDT

• The two I mentioned were sooooooo bad I can't get them out of my memory. 
      March 21, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

• You should try some of the cheap ones in the kindle market  .... all i can say is im glad no trees died in their production
      March 21, 2017 7:50 AM MDT