Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you ever started reading a book that was written so bad that you stopped reading it before you finished it?

Have you ever started reading a book that was written so bad that you stopped reading it before you finished it?

There are two for me, Wicked and 50 Shades of Gray. Both were horrible. 

Image result for bad book names

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

• I completely agree.   It was the most uninspired and overly worded tripe I ever laid eyes on.

@karen
    You aren't missing much.   The books are lengthy with little character depth and  a plot that could be written in a short story or novella.  Just dragged out to the size of the Old Testament.
      March 21, 2017 7:45 AM MDT

• Sounds like 50 Shades. I didn't care squat for the characters, they could have died in the first chapter and I would have been ok with that.
      March 21, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

• 50 Shades is fan fiction garbage and I hated it too.  found it ignorant and insulting on so many levels.
      March 21, 2017 7:59 AM MDT

• That about sums it up. I don't get how it became so popular. I read the first sex scene and was laughing at how dumb it was. That's when I put it down. If she can't even do justice to a sex scene, then forget it. 
      March 21, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

• Exactly.  I only read it to see what the hype was about and made it through it out of frustration with the image of the dynamic  it portrayed.

I get it wasn't really written for "men", still I don't see what there is to like about the portrayal.  It was so cringy and rapey. Not in the roleplay sense either.
      March 21, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

• Exactly. I did read another series called Mona Lisa. It was about people who moved here generations ago from the moon. It was full of sex scenes, but they were well written. The Vampire Diaries are another series I stopped reading about 2 books in. Her writing style was not good either. 
      March 22, 2017 3:45 AM MDT

• I've seen the movies, but haven't tried the books. 
      March 21, 2017 7:38 AM MDT

• Patterson is among my favourite mystery writers but I do NOT enjoy his Alex Cross stories. 
      March 21, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

• I couldn't bring myself to reading him after trying those books.   His writing was so boring in those two and predictable to me.

I also hear he doesn't really do all the writing in a lot of his books but claims the credit.   I don't have much respect for writers who use "teams".
      March 21, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

• I didn't know that. I've heard of such a practice in other areas. I even know of one guy who bought his way into getting a chess opening named for him by paying masters to research it. Ego wears many faces.
      March 21, 2017 9:56 AM MDT

• I can't say to what degree or validate it myself but when I hear it over and over again by publishers and other writers I tend to believe it about someone I didn't like to begin with.   So, bias.
      March 21, 2017 10:07 AM MDT

• Bias is only a problem when you don't recognise it. :)
      March 21, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

I am a big Patterson fan.  Some of his series books are collaborative, but they have both names on the front cover.  There are some series that are better than others. 
      March 21, 2017 2:37 PM MDT

• Too many. I read for enjoyment. If I don't like I no longer persevere with a book. 
      March 21, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

• In general I do a fair amount of research before reading a book, so it's rare that I'd find what I was reading was poorly written. That said, I have started some books that were just a bit over my head and I vowed I'd attempt them again later (in this case, Ulysses by James Joyce). 
      March 21, 2017 9:39 AM MDT

• I have some favorite authors, Stephen King, Bentley Little, Jim Butcher and quite a few others. I try to at least stay with what I know, but I love to venture out as well.
      March 21, 2017 9:56 AM MDT

• The Shack.  The Sorrows of Young Werther.  Solaris. 
      March 21, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

• i haven't heard of any of those.
      March 22, 2017 3:33 AM MDT

• "The Shack" has just been made into a movie.  I suspect it will be a vacuous as the inane book.  A failed attempt that theodicy.
    The Sorrows..."  A factious journal of a young mans love.
    "Solaris" scifi   
      March 22, 2017 5:16 AM MDT

Anyone ever finished Proust?
      March 21, 2017 11:18 AM MDT

• I haven't even started it. 
      March 22, 2017 3:34 AM MDT

It's absolutely soporific. 
      March 22, 2017 6:25 AM MDT

no, i havent been reading much lately, been more into the net these days
      March 21, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

• I have really gotten back into reading a lot here lately. 
      March 22, 2017 3:34 AM MDT

There are a few books that I've put down if they haven't captured me in the first 50 pages.  Too many books and too little time to read so there's no point in wasting time on something uninteresting.  To be honest, since I read for enjoyment in the moment, there are many books that I've read that I couldn't recall what it was about a month later, but I can remember if I enjoyed them. :)
      March 21, 2017 2:39 PM MDT