Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What did you think, in the past, would happen/change in the future or by now and has it happened?

What did you think, in the past, would happen/change in the future or by now and has it happened?

Particularly interested if it came true. 
Can be anything regarding life, society, attitudes, laws, the world, technology, books, fashion...

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

For starters back in the early 1960s everybody knew that we all would own personal flying cars sometime in the late 1970es ;-)
    In 1975 John Brunner predicted that clothes with a computer built into the fabric would be common at the turn of the century.

But the clear winner is computerized voice recognition and comprehension, It has been predicted as imminent or 'next year' ever since "Ozma of Oz." was published in 1907:

|                                SMITH & TINKER'S                                                    |
      |           Patent Double-Action, Extra-Responsive,               |
      |              Thought-Creating, Perfect-Talking                  |
      |                       MECHANICAL MAN                            |
      |        Fitted with our Special Clock-Work Attachment.           |
      |        Thinks, Speaks, Acts, and Does Everything but Live.      |
      |        Manufactured only at our Works at Evna, Land of Ev.      |
      | All infringements will be promptly Prosecuted according to Law. |
      March 21, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

Ah, voice recognition is obviously a big thing now. What with Amazon's alexa, siri and more, and probably others on the way. I find it a bit weird just talking outloud on my own. Although i do do it occasionally ;)

I was aware of the others, but computer in your clothing? What was that supposed to do exactly?
      March 21, 2017 11:31 AM MDT

• Last night I was using voice input to make a list on my Galaxy. It would have been just fine if the TV hadn't been turned on. I found the thing writing what was said on screen.  
      March 21, 2017 12:05 PM MDT

• Demons!
      March 21, 2017 2:54 PM MDT

• Never mind the demons. I think it's the bloody CIA trying to add Trumpaganda to my smart phone. 

Hang on, they don't like the guy. Maybe it's Antitrumpaganda. 
      March 21, 2017 2:57 PM MDT

As used in the book it was for "adaptive fashions" it activated tiny LED lights in the clothing to make your clothes change color so they were always matching the clothes of the people around you. Alas when two people in a group wore such clothes they would go crazy trying to match the other clothes attempting to mach them.
      March 23, 2017 3:15 AM MDT

• Back in 1952 when I started learning Morse Code I was convinced that there would always be work for telegraphists. Seven years later we had stopped using Morse in Australia.

About 1980 the director of a chess tournament I was playing in entered one of the early chess computers, as as novelty. It was so bad that it lost all its games. I didn't think they'd ever be any good. Oh, boy, was I ever wrong. For around $100 anybody can now own chess software capable of beating the greatest masters.

Ten years later I read David Brin's sci-fi story, Earth, in which he described, among other things, the Internet as it is used today. It seemed so fanciful and so darned intriguing that I couldn't believe such a thing would ever come about. 

I clearly don't have a good record about predicting changes. :( 
      March 21, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

Things have changed so much that it is hard to imagine. Maybe I'll have to look up that book although I'm not generally in to sci fi...
      March 21, 2017 11:33 AM MDT

• Brin is a clever writer bit if you don't like the genre it probably won't appeal.
      March 21, 2017 12:02 PM MDT

• I thought I might be satisfied and happy.

I thought I'd be employed at something which engaged me.

I thought I find an antidote for how my father poisoned my entire life.
      March 21, 2017 10:09 AM MDT

i thought i would get a job by now and no it hasnt happened yet except for temp stuff
      March 21, 2017 2:00 PM MDT