Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once they achieve Tenure educators are assured of lifetime jobs (unless some egregious action changes it). Are you pro/con? Why?

Once they achieve Tenure educators are assured of lifetime jobs (unless some egregious action changes it). Are you pro/con? Why?

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

•  For it on the university level for certain subjects like philosophy and government studies.   Against it on the true sciences and technical fields.
    Also against it for grammar and high school levels completely.
      March 21, 2017 8:02 AM MDT

My son is a college professor in the field of Computer and Information Sciences and has tenure . Which of course I am all for! I agree that tenure should be kept at the college level but not at the high school level and certainly not at the grammar school level. Although to be honest with you I have never thought about that before. I do believe teaching is the noblest profession and a great teacher at any level is priceless! Thank you for your reply Glis! :)
      March 23, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

• Tenure is a mixed bag IMHO.  What isn't though?

March 23, 2017 7:58 AM MDT

• University tenure is an investment for the institution. As of that moment the University has a proportional claim on anything that this guy is going to produce later, thus increasing the University's standing.
    In big institutions the pressure on these tenured professors to  "publish" is fairly intense. For his part, the professor gets a sure job and the chance to do research and get recognition for himself.
    On the other hand I think tenure make some educators lazy.  
      March 21, 2017 2:37 PM MDT

My son is a college professor who has tenure. Of course I am all for it. They have to keep publishing and producing. Getting lazy isn't an option as far as I know Lago. Thank you for your reply!  My kid got his Ph.D at UCLA and taught there, then the University of Denver and he has been teaching at the University of Hawaii in Honolulu since 2007! Someone has to do it! Thank you for your reply.
      March 23, 2017 7:20 AM MDT

• That's great Rosie, I think all that is a credit upon himself as much as it is a credit upon you..
      March 23, 2017 11:53 AM MDT

I'm very happy for him because he is so happy doing what he does! It's funny or maybe it was inevitable. When he was just a kid we'd go meandering on college campuses wherever we lived. We lived near CSUN (Cal State Northridge) and we'd spend time there. We went out to UCLA once and spent time there. We'd sneak into empty classrooms and imagine all the learning that went on when classes were in session there. We'd take some memento from the college campus. A leaf, a stone, a flyer advertising an upcoming event. I have always loved learning and have always thought teaching was the noblest profession. I was a painfully shy child and the teachers brought me out of my shell. I was told by friends for years that I should marry a college professor. I did much better than that! I gave birth to one!  Things work out the way they are supposed to work out I guess. I taught him to read at a very young age. He always saw me with my nose in a book. We went to the library weekly so maybe I had something to do with shaping him. I just wanted him to get as much joy out of learning as I did! And he did! And passes it on to others! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 25, 2017 4:35 AM MDT
      March 25, 2017 4:34 AM MDT