Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » "Sometimes something brilliant someone says changes my mind". Said by the current SCOTUS nominee. Which means he has no independent beliefs?

"Sometimes something brilliant someone says changes my mind". Said by the current SCOTUS nominee. Which means he has no independent beliefs?

Is that a good thing? To be that flexible that something someone says changes his mind on the spot? Without thoughtful and mindful pursuit of further investigating/researching/figuring out what is right? It sounds as if he can be touted with just a few words. It is unsettling. Does it sound fine to you?

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

Intelligent educated people can afford to be open to modifying their conclusions, or even adopting a new procedure that is better than the one they are currently using---even if either was working quite well.

I don't see it as a problem.

March 21, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply tom.  There are some folks who go with whatever the last person whispered in their ear said and so it pays to be that last person  before a decision is made. They tout easily. For a SCOTUS justice that would not be a good thing. It seems to me that such a person would have done due diligence and researched and thought a lot about something before coming to a decision and therefore you would not just flip a switch because someone said something brilliant! It would cause you to do more research perhaps. But to just change your mind like that as he indicated causes concern for me personally. You see it otherwise. Different strokes. :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 21, 2017 12:45 PM MDT
      March 21, 2017 12:44 PM MDT

In theoretical physics this is a common reality.

When someone says something brilliant, a fellow theoretical physicist will also recognize it to be so because the scientist who changes his mind is also brilliant enough to understand the brilliance of what has been said.

Einstein, Hawking, and many others have and share their brilliant insights and allow us all to advance.

So I don't see it as "different strokes."
      March 21, 2017 2:44 PM MDT

Thank you tom. You are offering up names of geniuses here. Often they get a flash of insight which resonates with other similarly gifted intellectual giants. Even so when one research team comes up with say proof of cold fusion groups of other science teams worldwide try to replicate the results before they believe them. Similarly I think any new insight should be tested every way possible and not accepted on the spot as Gorsuch seemed to indicate he did. I do not know about the intellectual capacity of Gorsuch. He may well be a genius too as are those whose ideas changed his mind about something. I'm just commenting upon what I UNDERSTOOD him to say. My understanding could be wrong. Or you and I could simply believe in and rely upon different things. Thank you for your reply tom. This post was edited by RosieG at March 23, 2017 7:13 AM MDT
      March 23, 2017 7:11 AM MDT

No problem---but you force me to be obvious.

I am also in the genius category---I quickly recognize brilliance in others.
      March 23, 2017 10:09 AM MDT

I doubt that anyone FORCES you to be/do anything. Certainly not a stranger on an internet social site. So I'm not buying that! You are a genius then or you are a genius at recognizing genius? Your answer wasn't that clear. I am not a genius so I need some clarity here! Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      March 25, 2017 5:39 AM MDT

It means he has an open mind and is not a partisan ideolog.  This is a good thing.
      March 21, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      March 21, 2017 12:46 PM MDT

• It means he's open to new ideas and is not stuck in hos own mind. That's a great trait to have, and one a lot of other people could benefit from. To be totally shut of to new ways of thinking is to become stagnated and experience no growth.
      March 21, 2017 9:44 AM MDT

• You're talking about the guy totally shut off from ANY news out fit or contrarian opinions but Fox News. That's the guy you're talking about here. Right?
    Not stuck on his ideas?
    In the words of the illustrious Ms Lucia, I think I stopped breathing there for a minute. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 21, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

You have a link claiming Judge Gorsuch only listens to FOX news????
      March 21, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

• Haha,  
    I stand corrected, my2.
    My apologies to you and to Karen.
      March 21, 2017 1:39 PM MDT

• I'm not talking about anyone in particular. My answer pertains to everyone in general. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 22, 2017 3:46 AM MDT
      March 22, 2017 3:38 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Karen and Happy Tuesday.

depends on what hes doing whether its a good thing or not
      March 21, 2017 12:55 PM MDT